Ebbinghaus studied sociology as a diploma course at the University of Mannheim from 1981 to 1988 and was a Fulbright scholar at the New School for Social Research in 1984/85 . After a year at the Institut Universitaire d'Etudes Européennes in Geneva , he was a DAAD scholarship holder at the European University Institute in Florence from 1989 to 1992 , where he worked in 1993 with Labor Unity in Union Diversity. Trade unions and social cleavages in Western Europe, 1890-1989 doctorate was. From 1992 to 1996 Ebbinghaus was a research assistant in sociology at the University of Mannheim and co-coordinator of the international research project on trade unions at the Mannheim Center for European Social Research. He then worked at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies before becoming a John F. Kennedy Memorial Fellow at the Center for European Studies at Harvard University in 1999/2000 . In the 2001/02 winter semester he was visiting professor at the University of Wisconsin , and in 2003/04 he was the professor for comparison of societies at the University of Jena .
After his habilitation in July 2003 at the Economics and Social Sciences Faculty of the University of Cologne , Ebbinghaus was appointed Professor of Sociology in October 2004 and heads the Chair of Macrosociology at the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Mannheim. From November 2006 to October 2009 he was the founding director of the Doctoral Center for Social and Behavioral Sciences at the Graduate School of Economic and Social Sciences. From February 2008 to January 2011 he was director of the Mannheim Center for European Social Research ( MZES ). In 2017 Ebbinghaus moved to a professorship for social policy in the Department of Social Policy and Intervention and became a Fellow of Green Templeton College at Oxford University.
- Bernhard Ebbinghaus, Elias Naumann (Eds.) Welfare State Reforms Seen from Below. Comparing Public Attitudes and Organized Interests in Britain and Germany . London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan / Cham, Switzerland: Springer Online, 2018.
- Thomas Bahle, Bernhard Ebbinghaus, Claudia Göbel: Families on the edge of the working society: Acquisition risks and social security of familial risk groups in a European comparison , Berlin: edition sigma, 2015.
- Marius Busemeyer, Bernhard Ebbinghaus, Stephan Leibfried, Nicole Mayer-Ahuja, Herbert Obinger, Birgit Pfau-Effinger (Eds.): Welfare Policy in the 21st Century: New Paths of Research , Frankfurt: Campus, 2013.
- Bernhard Ebbinghaus (Ed.) The Varieties of Pension Governance. Pension Privatization in Europe . Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Bernhard Ebbinghaus Reforming Early Retirement in Europe, Japan and the USA . Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Bernhard Ebbinghaus, Philip Manow (eds.): Comparing Welfare Capitalism: Social Policy and Political Economy in Europe, Japan and the USA , London, UK: Routledge, 2001.
- Bernhard Ebbinghaus, Jelle Visser: Trade Unions in Western Europe since 1945 . London, UK: Macmillan / Palgrave, 2000.
- Literature by and about Bernhard Ebbinghaus in the catalog of the German National Library
- Google Scholar Profile
- Page from Ebbinghaus at the University of Oxford
- Website by Ebbinghaus at the University of Mannheim
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German sociologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 2, 1961|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stuttgart|