He was ordained in 1960 according to the Theravāda tradition (old school) in Thailand. Since 1978 he has been a member of the Linh-Son Buddhist Research Institute in Joinville-le-Pont (Paris).
In October 2016 he became President of the Linh Son Buddhist Academy, 92-94, Pasteur Street, 94400 Vitry-sur-Seine, France. He has lived permanently at this academy since October 2019.
Bh. Pāsādika speaks German, English, French and Thai; he also studied Sanskrit, Pāli, Hindi, Buddhist Chinese, Tibetan and Japanese. He obtained his master's degree in Pāli from Magadh University in Bodhgaya . In 1974 he received his PhD in Buddhist Studies from the Punjabi University in Patiala . There he then taught Pāli and German as a lecturer until 1977. From 1978 to 1982 he was editor of the quarterly Linh-Son - publication d'études bouddhologiques in Joinville-le-Pont . At the same time he worked from 1980 to 1993 as a research assistant at the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen . In 1994 he became a lecturer and the following year honorary professor at the University of Marburg . He was also a lecturer at the University of Würzburg (1996 to 2000), visiting professor at the University of Bochum (2002/2003) and lecturer in Sanskrit at the University of Würzburg (2003). He retired in 2007.
- Siamese illustrations of the Buddha's teachings: Explanations of a traditional Buddhist manuscript from Siam by Buddhadāsa Bhikkhu , Social Science Association Press, Bangkok, 1969; Horst Erdmann Verlag, Tübingen, 1969
Excerpts from the Śūrańgama-Samādhi-Sūtra - in collaboration with Thubten Kalsang Rinpoche, World Fellowship of Buddhists, Bangkok, 1971, Bihar Research Society, Patna (2nd ed.), 1972, Library of Tibetan Works and Archives, Dharamsala (3rd ed. ), 1975
- Canonical quotations in the Abhidharmakośabhāṣya of Vasubandhu , Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen, 1989
- Nāgārjuna's Sūtrasamuccaya: a critical edition of the mDo kun las btus pa , Akademisk Forlag, Copenhagen, 1989
- Dharmadūta: mélanges offerts au vénérable Thich Huyên-Vi à l'occasion de son soixante-dixième anniversaire ed. In collaboration with Bhikkhu T. Dhammaratana, Éditions You-Feng, Paris, 1997
The Kāśyapaparivarta , Devanāgarī Edition and English Translation, Aditya Prakashan, New Delhi, 2015 (for biographical details and list of publications see back cover of this publication - www.bibliaimpex.com)
A full list of his publications can be found in:
- Pāsādikadānaṁ: Festschrift for Bhikkhu Pasadika edited. by M. Straube et al. , Indica et Tibetica 52, Marburg, 2009
- Bhikkhu Pasadika on zoominfo.com
- «Laudation by Prof. em. Dr. Eckhard Bangert (Bhikkhu Pāsādika) »
- Literature by and about Bhikkhu Pāsādika in the bibliographic database WorldCat
- Eckhard Bangert. In: Kürschner's German Scholars Calendar Online. De Gruyter. Retrieved on Feb. 7, 2015.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bangert, Eckhard|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Indologist and Buddhist master|
|DATE OF BIRTH||17th August 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Arolsen|