Blauer Arbst is a red wine variety . It is a mutation of the Pinot Noir . The grapes are more robust than the Pinot Noir grapes and used to be grown a lot in Baden . Together with the Pinot Noir, it was developed into the red wine Affentaler (previously written Affenthaler) in the early 19th century . The existence of the Pinot Noir has been mentioned since 1330 in Affental, a district of today's municipality of Bühl .
The blue fruit is almost extinct today, however, as the yield is very variable. According to today's reading, the Blauer Arbst is no longer an independent grape variety, but merely a clone of the Pinot Noir. However, there are projects to save the Blue Arbst, for example in the Birkweiler Kastanienbusch site in the Palatinate, several hundred vines were planted in 2009 to make wine from Blue Arbst and sell it.
The Blue Arbst is not identical with the Blue Affenthaler (spelling with "h"), although a synonym is identical. In the 19th century, however, both varieties were often confused in the Württemberg growing area and were probably found together in the vineyards (→ mixed sentence ).
Synonyms: Affentaler, Arbst, Elsasser Roth, Pineau Franc, Pignola, Rother, Traminer Schwarz
Origin: Form of the Pinot Noir
Distribution: The Blue Arbst can only be found in Germany and threatens to become extinct.
Ampelographic varietal characteristics
- The shoot tip is open. It is very hairy whitish light green. The young leaves are initially hairy cobwebs to then be almost hairless.
- The medium-sized, dark green leaves are very round, mostly wholly or weakly three-lobed, but rarely five-lobed. The stem bay is open in a V-shape. The blade is bluntly serrated. The teeth are medium-sized compared to the grape varieties. The leaf surface (also called blade) is blistered and rough.
- The cylindrical grape is seldom shouldered, medium-sized, elongated and moderately dense. The round to oval berries are small to medium-sized and dark blue to purple-blue in color. The peel of the berry is medium strong.
The blue Arbst sprouts medium early and is therefore sensitive to possible late spring frosts. However, if the wood is well ripened, it is characterized by good winter frost resistance.
- Walter Hillebrand, Heinz Lott, Franz Pfaff: Paperback of the grape varieties. 13th edition. Fachverlag Fraund, Mainz 2003, ISBN 3-921156-53-X .
- Pierre Galet : Dictionnaire encyclopédique des cépages. 1st edition. Hachette Livre, 2000, ISBN 2-01-236331-8 .
- Herrenbergerhof: Blauer Arbst http://www.herrenbergerhof.de/images/blauer_arbst.pdf .
- Blauer Arbst - wine shop. In: webshop.herrenbergerhof.de. Retrieved August 5, 2016 .
- Rudolf Steurer: Wine Guide. Carl Ueberreuter Verlag, Vienna 1995, ISBN 3-8000-3587-1 .