The guy from the grave next door
|German title||The guy from the grave next door|
|Original title||Grabben i graven bredvid|
|Country of production||Sweden|
|Age rating||FSK 6|
The guy from the grave next door (Original title: Grabben i graven bredvid , DVD title: Mein Bauer, seine Kuh & Ich ) is a Swedish film from 2002 based on the novel The Guy from the Country - A Love Story by Katarina Mazetti . Directed by Kjell Sundvall , the script was written by Sara Heldt . The main roles were played by Elisabeth Carlsson and Michael Nyqvist .
The librarian Desirée Wallin, whose husband Örjan was killed by a truck while watching birds, meets the single farmer Benny Söderström, who is visiting his parents' grave, in the cemetery where Örjan rests. Both in their mid-thirties, they live in completely different worlds. She meets intellectual friends and visits her senile mother in the old people's home, life for him revolves around 24 dairy cows, time on his farm seems to have stood still.
Despite, or precisely because of, these social differences, the two learn to love each other.
This love then breaks down because of the opposites and because of Desirée's fear of getting attached to agriculture in a completely different world. In addition, Desirée gets the longed-for new job as a librarian in Stockholm - she wants to leave the province, but Benny has kept this a secret until the end.
In the end, both of them realize that there is more that connects them than divides them.
The film was released in Swedish cinemas on August 2, 2002, where 975,462 visitors until 2004 saw it. With a population of around 9 million, the film was a great commercial success in Sweden, which is why it was released in theaters in Norway, Finland, Denmark, Germany and Austria. In Germany, where the type from the grave next door opened on October 7, 2004, the number of visitors was 9,260. The Austrian theatrical release was on February 25, 2005.
The film was released on DVD in Germany in May 2005 .
- “Kjell Sundvall's film adaptation of Katerina Mazetti's bestseller hit Sweden like a bomb, around 1 million visitors (out of a population of 8.9 million) wanted to see the romantic comedy about the twists and turns of the two likeable thirtysomethings. A nice and harmless romantic comedy that especially pleases the actors. But for the discerning taste the whole thing offers too few surprises to conjure up more than just a short smile about the nice basic idea. " ( Www.kino-zeit.de )
Guldbagge Award 2003:
- Best Actor (Bästa manliga huvudroll): Michael Nyqvist
- Nomination for best leading actress (Bästa kvinnliga huvudroll): Elisabeth Carlsson
- Nomination for Best Director (Bästa regi): Kjell Sundvall
- Nomination for best film (Bästa film): Börje Hansson, Charlotta Denward
- Nomination for Best Screenplay (Bästa manuscript): Sara Heldt
- Katarina Mazetti's novel, Grabben i graven bredvid ( The Country Guy - A Love Story ), on which the film is based, is on Desirée's bookshelf.
- For the film, horns were glued to the participating cows.
- The DVD was released in Germany under the title "Mein Bauer, seine Kuh & Ich".