Coordinates: 25 ° 37 ' N , 56 ° 17' E
Dibba ( Arabic دبا, DMG Dibbā ) is a city located both in the Musandam Governorate in Oman and in the Emirates of Sharjah and Fujairah of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Dibba is divided into three local authorities (wilāya):
- Dibba al-Bay'a, in Oman. 21.1 km², 6402 inhabitants (December 12, 2010)
- Dibba al-Fujairah, in Fujairah (UAE). 45.0 km², 29,301 inhabitants (July 1, 2015)
- Dibba al-Hisn, in Sharjah (UAE). 12,573 inhabitants (July 1, 2015)
In the part of the city located in Fujairah, the Ghadeer Mineral Water Company is located, which sells a mineral water that bears the name Dibba.
The city also benefits from a small number of tourists who usually spend a day on traditional dhow boats and go from the local port to nearby bays and snorkel or relax on the beach.
During the Ridda Wars (632-634) one of the battles took place in Dibba. Historians assume that the Portuguese colony of Dibba was located here between 1624 and 1648. In August 1648 the Arabs besieged the Portuguese base of Muscat and on October 31, 1648 a pact was made between Portugal and its enemies. Portugal now had to build fortresses in Kuriyat , Dibba al-Hisn and Matrah (Oman).
Dibba was in the area of the Trucial States , (at that time also called the Pirate Coast by the British ), so Great Britain was jointly responsible for drawing the border in the area around Dibba. The part of Dibbas in the Emirate of Sharjah was only incorporated into the emirate in 1951. Previously, the area was a UK-recognized emirate of Daba. The Emirate of Fujairah was not recognized as a separate emirate by Great Britain until 1952. The ruling Ash-Sharqi family had unilaterally declared their independence from Sharjah in 1902.
- OnTheWorldMap: Dibba al Hisn (map with Western District, Al Doub, Al Seih and Al Muhalab Districts)
- ^ Profile of the Ghadeer Mineral Water Company , accessed March 15, 2015
- ↑ Musandam Dibba: Full-day boat trip with lunch. Retrieved April 17, 2018 .
- ↑ Archived copy ( memento of the original from December 25, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ↑ Archived copy ( Memento of the original from May 15, 2005 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ↑ worldstatesmen.org: United Arab Emirates, Daba