Diethard Nickel (born March 2, 1939 in Berlin ) is a German classical philologist and medical historian .
Nickel received his doctorate in 1968 at the Humboldt University of Berlin , where he also completed his habilitation in 1986, and alongside Jutta Kollesch and Gotthard Strohmaier was a research associate at the Corpus Medicorum Graecorum / Latinorum of the GDR Academy of Sciences , which has been part of the newly founded Berlin- Brandenburg Academy of Sciences is assigned. His field of work is derived from the program of the office, the text-critical edition of the ancient Greek and Roman doctors and the ancient history of medicine. In addition to taking care of the edition projects and other research tasks of the Corpus Medicorum Graecorum / Latinorum , Nickel has particularly turned to Galen's gynecological and embryological writings in his personal work .
- Galen: On the anatomy of the uterus . Ed., Trans. u. ext. v. Diethard Nickel. Diss. Humboldt University 1968. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1971 (Corpus medicorum Graecorum, V, 2, 1).
- as ed. with Jutta Kollesch: Antike Heilkunst. Selected texts from the medical literature of the Greeks and Romans. Verlag Philipp Reclam jun., Leipzig 1979 (= Reclams Universal Library. Volume 771); 6th edition ibid 1989. Also Röderberg-Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 1979. 3rd edition 1981.
New edition: Antike Heilkunst. Selected texts from the medical writings of the Greeks and Romans . Edited by Jutta Kollesch and Diethard Nickel, Philipp Reclam jun., Stuttgart 1994.
- Studies on Galen's embryology . Diss. B Humboldt University Berlin 1986. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1989 (writings on the history and culture of antiquity, 27).
- Galen: About the formation of the seedlings . Ed., Trans. and ext. by Diethard Nickel. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 2001 (Corpus medicorum Graecorum, V, 3, 3).
- with Jutta Kollesch : Bibliographia Galenia. The contributions of the 20th century to galen research. In: Wolfgang Haase (Ed.): Rise and decline of the Roman world. Volume II, 37, 2. Berlin / New York 1994, pp. 1351-1420.
- Vademecum of History , 1998, p. 482.
- Carl Werner Müller (Ed.): Doctors and their interpreters. Medical specialist texts from antiquity as a research topic in classical philology. Specialist conference in honor of Diethard Nickel . Saur, Munich, Leipzig 2006, ISBN 978-3-598-77850-6 (contributions to antiquity, vol. 238).
- Literature by and about Diethard Nickel in the catalog of the German National Library
- Diethard Nickel at the CMG / L
- Specialist conference in honor of Diethard Nickel, May 14-15, 2004, Berlin
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical philologist and medical historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 2, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|