Substances in the EC inventory have EC number n. EC numbers are an important regulatory category of European chemicals law ( REACH regulation). EC numbers have 7 digits and the following syntax: XXX-XXX-X. The EC number is a key identifier of a substance in the IUCLID software, which is used, among other things, to submit registration dossiers to the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).
From the fact that a substance has an EC number, it cannot be concluded that it is a hazardous substance .
The EC number is not identical to the EC index number .
The EC substance inventory includes the following sub-inventories:
- Existing substances directory of the EU , European Inventory of Existing Commercial Chemical Substances , EINECS. The substance identifier in this list is called the EINECS number. The EINECS numbers start with 200-001-8 ( formaldehyde ) and end with 310-312-1. This subdirectory has 100,102 entries.
- The old EU list of new substances , European List of Notified Chemical Substances (ELINCS). The substance identifier in this list is called the ELINCS number. ELINCS numbers start with 400-010-9 (trade name: "indosol yellow SF-2RL"). This subdirectory has over 4000 entries.
- The No Longer Polymers List or NLP List. The substance identifier in this list is called the NLP number. NLP numbers start with 500-001-0 ("2-methylpropene, trimers"). This subdirectory has over 700 entries.
After the pre-registration period of the REACH regulation has expired, the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) has introduced further identifiers in EC number format:
- Numbers of the type 6xx-xxx-x were and are automatically assigned to substances that have been pre-registered without an EC number (as part of the pre-registration according to the REACH regulation), but for which a CAS number has been communicated,
- Numbers of the type 7xx-xxx-x were and are assigned to non-phase-in substances (" new substance ") for which an inquiry has been submitted to ECHA in accordance with REACH Article 26,
- Numbers of the type 8xx-xxx-x were and are automatically assigned to substances that have been pre-registered without an EC number (as part of the pre-registration in accordance with the REACH regulation), but for which a CAS number has been communicated (continuation of the 6xx-xxx- x series),
- Numbers of the type 9xx-xxx-x were and are automatically assigned to substances that have been pre-registered without an EC and CAS number . Such numbers are also assigned by ECHA for non-phase-in substances that do not have a CAS number.
Despite the same format, these identifiers (“list numbers”) are not legally equivalent to the actual EC numbers. They are not published in the Official Journal of the EU and are first and foremost a technical aid for managing substances that do not have an actual EC number.
- EC Inventory at ECHA
- Entry in the REACH-CLP-Biocide-Helpdesk ( Memento of October 21, 2016 in the Internet Archive )
- Registered substances information
- Substances in Preparations in Nordic Countries - On-line help - Main Info , accessed on October 20, 2016.
- F. Geiss, G. Del Bino, G. Blech, O. Nørager, E. Orthmann, G. Mosselmans, J. Powell, R. Roy, T. Smyrniotis, WG Town: The EINECS inventory of existing chemical substances on the EC market. In: Toxicological & Environmental Chemistry . 37, 1992, pp. 21-33, doi : 10.1080 / 02772249209357850 .