from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Entertainment and Sports Programming Network

legal form Inc.
founding 1979
Seat Bristol , Connecticut , United States
United StatesUnited States 
Branch media

ESPN ( E ntertainment and S ports P rogramming N etwork ) is a US television station that broadcasts exclusively sports programs around the clock. ESPN was founded in 1979 and broadcasts mainly from its own studios in Bristol ( Connecticut ) and reaches 90 million households (as of summer 2005) in the USA . The station also has offices in New York , Seattle , Washington, DC , Charlotte and Los Angeles . The news program SportsCenter has been broadcast since the station was founded .


ESPN was originally supposed to be an alternative to the sports coverage of the conventional broadcasters and the sports pages of the daily newspapers. The station was started by Bill Rasmussen, a reporter from NBC partner WWLP. One started in a very manageable framework and often had to fall back on less common sports ( "Tractor Pull" , Australian Rules Football or the United States Football League were on offer). The station's name was originally ESP (Entertainment and Sports Programming) but it was changed before launch. ESPN began broadcasting the first Sportscenter program on September 7, 1979. Prior to launch, Getty Oil bought a majority stake in the company.

The turning point finally came in 1987 when ESPN managed to sign a contract with the NFL to broadcast football games on Sunday nights. From a marginalized cable TV station, ESPN quickly became a powerful media empire.

ESPN started out as part of a joint venture between Getty Oil Company (now taken over by Texaco ) and Nabisco . Since 2005, the entire ESPN family of stations is 80 percent owned by ABC ( American Broadcasting Company , in turn owned by The Walt Disney Company ). Hearst Corporation holds the remaining 20 percent .

Furthermore, there are now offshoots of ESPN, for example ESPN2, ESPN3 (online sports offer, including the Bundesliga), ESPN News, ESPN HD (broadcast of normal programs in high definition ), ESPN Classic (formerly Classic Sports Network), ESPNU (specializing in college sports ), ESPN Radio (several medium-wave sports radio stations in the USA are operated under this name and some broadcast joint programs) and ESPN The Magazine. ESPN's best-known sports news program is “SportsCenter”; other popular programs include Monday Night Football , which has been on ESPN's program since 2006, and the College GameDay show, which has existed since 1987 .

In early 2007, ESPN took over the European US sports broadcaster NASN for an estimated 90 million euros , which was then renamed ESPN America in February 2009 . The station was discontinued on August 1, 2013.

Is the slogan of the company "The Worldwide Leader in Sports" ( the worldwide leader in sports ).

Awards in boxing

ESPN awards the Boxer of the Year and the Boxer of the Decade , among others . The award for the Boxer of the Decade has only been given once, and in 2009 it went to the Philippine Manny Pacquiao .

Web links

Commons : ESPN  - collection of pictures, videos and audio files

Individual evidence

  1. ^ ESPN decides not to match Comcast's offer
  2. ESPN buys rival NASN
  3. Fighter of the Decade -