As a specialist information is called scientific or economic information specialist by various institutions of the BID area as libraries , specialized databases , documentation centers , archives and specialized information centers , research institutes , press agencies and in some cases clubs and associations developed are and deployed.
The boundaries between the individual institutions are fluid, and one should not be too quick to infer from the name of an institution how it actually works. For example, many institutions simultaneously maintain a documentation center , a library and an archive and offer specialist databases such as bibliographies .
There are numerous scientific publications, studies, etc. in the field of drugs , and new ones are being added all the time. The following facilities, among others, offer themselves as a contact point and orientation aid:
- Archido (Archive for Drug Literature) The archive and documentation center for drug literature is the only scientific library in Germany specializing in drug literature http://www.archido.de/
- Elisad (European association of libraries and information services on alcohol and other drugs) Still under construction http://www.elisad.eu/ .
- SALIS (Substance Abuse Librarians & Information Specialists) is an international association of individuals and organizations with special interests in the exchange and dissemination of alcohol, tobacco, and other drug (ATOD) information http://www.salis.org/
For the area of patents there is the freely accessible patent database esp @ cenet with over 30 million documents:
The WTI-Frankfurt eG has been listing publications in the field of technology and production-oriented management from German-speaking and Anglo-Saxon regions in specialized databases since 1979 . Since then, more than 30 million literature recommendations have been preselected by proven specialists, given an abstract , classified with the TEMA thesaurus and made available to users online in a search engine for research .
Specialized information services
With the increased use of the computer and networking via the Internet , many specialist information services that previously appeared as print media have changed significantly, have become obsolete, or new forms have been added.
- Collections of table of contents
- Collections of papers
- Current Contents : Collection of
Specialist information facilities
Whether there is a separate institution or database on a topic depends above all on whether there is a sponsor. This in turn is u. a. determined by the scientific relevance of the topic and the possibility of a differentiation from other disciplines.
Overviews of specialist information institutions offer, among other things
- Gale directory of databases - the largest directory of databases and hosts
- VADECUM - search for research institutions
- Association of Research Libraries (ARL) - North America only
The market for specialist information
The market for specialist information was dominated worldwide by three groups ( Thomson , Reuters and Bloomberg LP ), which together generated 2/3 of the turnover. In 2008 Reuters was bought by Thomson. There is also a strong concentration in the markets for legal and medical information (LiSS media portal).
- Rainer Kuhlen u. a. (Ed.): Basics of practical information and documentation . Saur, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-598-11674-8