Specialist for warehouse logistics
Warehouse logistics specialist (Germany) or operational logistics clerk (Austria) is a three-year apprenticeship in the field of industry , trade and services . Warehouse logistics specialists work in the field of logistical planning, control and organization of the flow of goods. You design sub-processes for the movement of goods or the handling of goods in large warehouses or industrial companies. In the area of transport logistics, warehouse logistics specialists also take on route planning, truck scheduling and customs clearance. Her tasks also include tasks of the classic warehouse clerk, such as accepting, picking, loading, stowing goods, transporting and packing goods with industrial trucks. Operating an indoor crane can also be part of the work area, depending on the type of goods.
On March 25, 1991, the ordinance on the development and testing of the skilled occupation for warehouse management was passed, which came into force on August 1, 1991. The ordinance regulated the testing of a three-year training course in warehouse management. The content to be conveyed included, among other things, dispatch processing, order picking , warehousing as well as operational and logistical organization . After the evaluation of the trial period, the ordinance on vocational training in the warehouse area in the training professions of specialist warehouse clerk and specialist for warehouse logistics replaced the above ordinance on August 1, 2004 and thus created the legal basis for the training course for warehouse logistics specialists. The necessary qualifications determined during the evaluation were incorporated into the new training course. In order to clarify the focus of process orientation, the term logistics was taken over into the job title. The new focal points are now the commercial and dispositive areas. New requirements in specialist and key qualifications, such as teamwork, customer orientation, foreign language skills and accounting, have been included in the training ordinance.
Warehouse logistics specialists optimize the flow of materials, information and values, from procurement to sales. You carry out the analysis of the procurement planning, search for suppliers, develop offers and compare them. They also take orders. Furthermore, the calculation of warehouse codes , inventory and annual financial statements in simple form are part of their work.
The range of tasks includes, for example, inventory checks , the creation of loading lists or the processing of shipping and accompanying documents. Furthermore, more general or more abstract requirements are placed on the specialist for warehouse logistics, for example the handling of EDP systems , knowledge of occupational safety and environmental protection. Due to the regrouping of the job description and the link with the commercial professions, the handling of warehouse codes and basic accounting terms is expected. This content enables warehouse logistics specialists to carry out a complete calculation of a warehouse. This is required to check and control the efficiency and profitability of the warehouse.
The general training plan includes the following teaching content:
- Vocational training , labor and collective bargaining law
- Structure and organization of the training company
- Health and safety at work
- environmental Protection
- Work organization; information and communication
- Logistic processes; quality assurance measures
- Use of work equipment
- Acceptance of goods
- Storage of goods
- Picking and packing of goods
- Shipping of goods
- commercial management and control
The training takes place in the dual system at vocational schools and at training companies in industry and trade. The training period is three years and ends with the final exam . The training companies usually expect applicants to have a qualifying secondary school diploma or a secondary school leaving certificate .
- Good understanding of numbers
- technical interest
- Interest in working with IT
- the ability to work independently and in a team
- exercise capacity
- Foreign language skills
- Sense of responsibility / reliability
- Organizational skills
- logical understanding
In Austria, the official designation according to the Vocational Training Act (BAG) is operational logistics clerk . The old designation warehouse logistician is no longer valid since June 1, 2013. The apprenticeship in operational logistics is completed in the form of dual training with an apprenticeship period of three years. The training content differs only slightly from that in Germany. The exam is also a qualification in the apprenticeship as an office clerk . The apprenticeship period for completing related apprenticeships, such as buyer , forwarding logistician or forwarding agent , as well as some other office and administrative jobs, is shortened by one to two years.
Technical business economist (IHK) in the areas of purchasing and logistics, inventory management, logistics
- Transport specialist
- Certified specialist in freight transport and logistics
- Certified specialist for logistics systems
- Certified technical specialist
- Specialist for logistics systems
- Specialist in inventory management
- Industrial specialist
- Logistics technician
- Diploma in logistics
- Business economist for logistics
- Dipl. In Business Administration
- Dipl.-Kaufmann logistics
- Graduate industrial engineer for logistics
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) Transport & Logistics
A master craftsman training is not provided in Austria. The range of subject-specific advanced training courses in the form of courses is extensive, such as courses on new warehouse logistics techniques and systems, IT programs for warehouse management, e-business , business administration, English or quality assurance.
For higher qualifications at colleges, technical colleges and universities, you usually need the vocational matura (vocational matriculation examination), which is made up of the final apprenticeship examination and four other exams. As a result, academic degrees in logistics management, industrial logistics, etc. can be obtained.
Typical employers are:
- BERUFENET of the Federal Employment Agency
- http://www.bmwfw.gv.at/Berufsausbildung/LehrberufeInOesterreich/ListeDerLehrberufe/Seiten/Betriebslogistik.aspx Current training ordinance of the Austrian Ministry of Economics, valid since 2013
- Dates of the intermediate and final exams
- Exercises for intermediate and final exams as a specialist in warehouse logistics
- Warehouse logistics platform - free teaching materials, online exam questions and structure papers
- Specialist for warehouse logistics at the Federal Institute for Vocational Training
- Framework curriculum (PDF file; 120 kB)
- Professional and industry information for operational logistics from the Austrian Chamber of Commerce
- Education and training information for operational logistics from the Institute for Economic Research: BerufsInformationsComputer (BIC)