Secondary school leaving certificate
The secondary school leaving certificate (also vocational qualification or vocational qualification - depending on the federal state) is the first general school leaving certificate in Germany . “The secondary school certificate is used to take up dual vocational training and continues to entitle the holder to enter the basic vocational training year and, under certain conditions, in vocational schools. It is also a prerequisite for later entry into certain technical schools and institutions of the second educational path. "
Conditions for the secondary school leaving certificate
The secondary school certificate is obtained at the end of the 9th or 10th grade (depending on the duration of compulsory education) at a school with a secondary school branch or a secondary school in the lower secondary level .
"The secondary school certificate is awarded at the secondary school or in courses of study that provide for this degree, if at least sufficient performance is available in all subjects." The examination and training regulations of the respective federal state determine more precisely.
The following list indicates how a secondary school diploma or a comparable qualification can be achieved in Germany. It should be noted that in many federal states not all routes listed are possible.
A secondary school diploma or a comparable qualification can be achieved in Germany through
- included through a higher degree, e.g. B. Qualifying secondary school leaving certificate , secondary school leaving certificate ,
- the successful completion of a secondary school or a comprehensive school after the 9th or 10th grade.
- in some federal states the promotion from the 9th to the 10th grade of a grammar school or secondary school ,
- the final secondary school examination after the 9th or 10th grade of the secondary school,
- the non-school student exam at a school that awards this qualification,
- the successful completion of a secondary school after the 10th grade in North Rhine-Westphalia as a so-called secondary school certificate (type 10 A)
- passing an additional examination at the following vocational schools :
- the successful completion of a course of the same name at evening main school or at the adult education center
- Distance learning that prepares for the non-school student exam
Extended secondary school leaving certificate
In the states of Berlin, Brandenburg, Bremen, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Lower Saxony, North Rhine-Westphalia and Schleswig-Holstein, an extended secondary school or advanced vocational training maturity can be purchased (at the end of grade 10 high school ). The latter entitled - provided with appropriate qualifying frank - to enter the sixth form secondary II .
School leavers in Germany with a secondary school leaving certificate
In the 2016 graduation year, 173,293 (2015: 170,731) students completed their school years with a secondary school certificate. This was 15% of a cohort in 2015 (22% in 2005). The proportion of girls was around 40%. Of these, around 73,000 pupils attended secondary schools, around 23,000 integrated comprehensive schools, around 44,000 other general education schools and around 31,000 vocational schools.
School leavers in Germany without a secondary school leaving certificate
In the 2016 graduation year, 49,200 students finished their school career without a secondary school leaving certificate. As a result, 6% of a year did not manage to obtain at least a secondary school certificate. The proportion is above average in all eastern German federal states. In Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, 9.2% of a year group left school without a secondary school leaving certificate, in Saxony-Anhalt 9.6%. Lower Saxony with 4.9% and Hesse with 5.1% have the lowest rates. The nationwide quota has fallen significantly since 2010, but rose again slightly after the 2012 minimum of 5.6%.
- KMK: Agreement on the types of schools and courses in secondary education
- Federal Statistical Office: Graduates by type of degree. Retrieved September 8, 2018 .
- Federal Statistical Office: 3.4.3 Acquisition of general educational qualifications at general and vocational schools. In: Statistical yearbook. 2017, accessed September 8, 2018 .
- Destatis: Schools at a Glance 2018 . Ed .: Federal Statistical Office. May 2018, p. 34 .
- https://www.destatis.de/DE/Publikationen/Themati/BildungForschungKultur/Schulen/BroschuereSchulenBlick0110018129004.pdf?__blob=publicationFile Federal Statistical Office: Schools at a glance - Brochure - Edition 2012 (page 34)
- Caritas Germany: Education Opportunities 2017. Accessed on September 8, 2018 .