Pragnell came from a poor background. At times he worked in the London Metropolitan Police Service . In 1932, together with RF Starzl, he published his first SF story The Venus Germ in the pulp magazine Wonder Stories , making him one of the first British authors to publish in the US pulps. From 1938 to 1943, the nine-part Don Hargreaves short story series appeared in Amazing Stories . His most famous book was the novel The Green Man of Graypec , which was translated twice into German (as Kampf im Atom and Die Grüne Männer von Graypec ). The novel is about a person whose consciousness is transferred into the body of an alien being in a subatomic world inhabited by different races. The novel was recognized by HG Wells . The sequel appeared only in German translation as Kastrove der Mächtige (1966).
- The Green Man of Graypec (series of novels)
- 1 The Green Man of Graypec (1935, 1936, also as The Green Man of Kilsona )
- German: Kampf im Atom. Helios-Verlag, Bayreuth 1951. Also as: The green men of Graypec. Pabel (Utopia Grossband # 102), 1959.
- 2 Kastrove the Mighty (not released)
- German: Kastrove the Mighty. Pabel (Utopia Science Fiction # 471), 1966.
- Don Hargreaves (short story series)
- 1 Ghost of Mars (1938)
- 2 Warlords of Mars (1940)
- 3 Kidnaped in Mars (1941)
- 4 Outlaw of Mars (1942)
- 5 Devil-Birds of Deimos (1942)
- 6 Into the Caves of Mars (1942)
- 7 Twisted Giant of Mars (1943)
- 8 Conspirators of Phobos (1943)
- 9 Madcap of Mars (1943)
- Warlords of Mars (2012, collection)
- Twisted Giant of Mars (2012, collection)
- Single novel
- The Terror from Timorkal (1946)
- Short stories
- The Venus Germ (1932, with RF Starzl)
- Men of the Dark Comet (1933)
- The Essence of Life (1933)
- The Isotope Men (1933)
- A Visit to Venus (1934)
- Man of the Future (1937)
- Monsters of the Moon (1937, also as Francis Parnell)
- War of Human Cats (1940)
- Collision in Space (1943)
- Thieves of the Air (ca.1943, with Benson Herbert)
- The Machine-God Laughs (1948)
- Hans Joachim Alpers , Werner Fuchs , Ronald M. Hahn : Reclam's science fiction guide. Reclam, Stuttgart 1982, ISBN 3-15-010312-6 , p. 332.
- Hans Joachim Alpers, Werner Fuchs, Ronald M. Hahn, Wolfgang Jeschke : Lexicon of Science Fiction Literature. Heyne, Munich 1991, ISBN 3-453-02453-2 , p. 799 f.
- Everett Franklin Bleiler , Richard Bleiler: Science Fiction: The Gernsback Years. Kent State University Press, Kent, OH 1998, ISBN 0-585-23982-7 , pp. 327-330, 411.
- John Clute : Pragnell, Festus. In: John Clute, Peter Nicholls : The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction . 3rd edition (online edition), version dated April 13, 2017.
- Donald H. Tuck : The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy through 1968. Advent, Chicago 1974, ISBN 0-911682-20-1 , p. 353.
- Festus Pragnell in the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (English)
- Works by and about Festus Pragnell at Open Library
- A Visit to Festus Pragnell , article in the Stromata blog (accessed on June 26, 2018)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Parnell, Francis (pseudonym)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British science fiction writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 16, 1905|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stourport , Worcestershire|
|DATE OF DEATH||1977|
|Place of death||Romsey or Southampton|