Frederik van Eeden
Frederik van Eeden was the son of Frederik Willem van Eeden and grew up in an environment where art and science played an important role. In 1878 he began to study medicine in Amsterdam . Van Eeden received his doctorate in 1886 and established himself as a family doctor in Bussum. However, he quickly specialized in psychotherapy . In the early 1880s, Van Eeden played an important role in Amsterdam student life and published his first articles. He became a member of the Dutch writers' association Flanor . In 1885 he founded the magazine De Nieuwe Gids with Frank van der Goes , Willem Kloos , Willem Paap and Albert Verwey , which was to become the mouthpiece of the Moving van Tachtig . The first editions of the Nieuwe Gids included parts of the fairy tale De Kleine Johannes written by Van Eeden . The fairy tale was published as a book in 1887. In 1894 Van Eeden left the editorial office of the Nieuwe Gids .
On April 15, 1886, Frederik van Eeden married Martha van Vloten. They became parents of two sons. They divorced on June 29, 1907. On August 21, 1907, Van Eeden married his second wife Geertruida Woutrina Everts, with whom he also had two sons.
In 1900 Van Eeden's psychological novel Van de koele meren des doods was published . The work has been reprinted several times since then and is still widely read. In 1982 the novel was made into a film by Nouchka van Brakel .
The Walden Colony in Bussum was an attempt to give his social views a concrete form. The experiment, which lasted only a few years (1898-1907), was important for the development of Dutch socialism .
In lucid dream research , van Eeden was awarded the introduction of the term lucid dream .
- Entry in the Biografisch Woordenboek van Nederland (Dutch)
- Christine Holste: The Forte Circle (1910-1915). Reconstruction of a utopian attempt. M and P Verlag, Stuttgart 1992 (in it chapter 2, pp. 120–178: "Frederik van Eeden: Therapeut einer sick Gesellschaft")
- Literature by and about Frederik van Eeden in the catalog of the German National Library
- Frederik van Eeden at Projekt Gutenberg.org
- Works by Frederik van Eeden in the Gutenberg-DE project
- Frederik van Eeden: A Study of Dreams . In: Proceedings of the Society for Psychical Research / NS , Vol. 26 (1913), Link
|SURNAME||Eeden, Frederik van|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Eeden, Frederik Willem van (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Dutch psychologist and writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 3, 1860|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Haarlem|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 16, 1932|
|Place of death||Bussum|