Günther Huwer studied medicine in Breslau, Jena and Innsbruck. In 1933 he became a private lecturer for gynecology and obstetrics in Jena, in the same year he became a member of the NSDAP. In 1935 Huwer was appointed associate professor.
From 1934 Huwer was one of the doctors who were authorized to carry out compulsory sterilization at the Jena University Women's Clinic in accordance with the law for the prevention of hereditary offspring of July 14, 1933. In 1983 Huwer commented on his involvement in forced sterilization in the Deutsches Ärzteblatt as follows:
“In 1934 I worked at the women's clinic at the University of Jena, under the direction of Prof. Henkel, who years later, persecuted by the Gestapo, took his life and underwent many sterilizations. The indications were medically extremely correct, each made by three doctors. I did not see any of these women sad that they could no longer bear children - on the contrary, there was almost always relief. "
From 1935 to 1952 Huwer worked as a gynecologist in China. He worked in leading positions initially at the Sun Yatsen University in Canton, then in 1939 at the German Hospital in Beijing and from 1945 to 1952 in various clinics, initially in Beijing and later in Kweilin. In 1952 Huwer was expelled from China.
From 1954 to 1958 Huwer was the chief physician of the DRK hospital in Pusan / South Korea. After his return he was chief physician for gynecology and obstetrics at Wenckebach Hospital in Berlin.
- Günter Huwer u. Eberhard Daerr: The DRK Hospital in Pusan - The Korean mission of the German Red Cross from 1954 to 1959. In: Committee 100 Years of German-Korean Relations (Ed.): Balance of a friendship, Bonn 1984, pp. 56-62.
- Norbert Jachertz: Obituary for Günther Huwer Deutsches Ärzteblatt 1992; 89 issue 40, A1-3253
- Michael H. Kater: Doctors Under Hitler. UNC Press Books 1990, p. 223
- Susanne and Thomas Zimmermann: The Medical Faculty of the University of Jena in the "Third Reich". In: Uwe Hossfeld (Hrsg.) Combative Science: Studies at the University of Jena in National Socialism. Böhlau Verlag Cologne Weimar 2003, page 415
- Günther Huwer: Letter to the editor . Deutsches Ärzteblatt 1983 (issue 3): page 80
- Norbert Jachertz: German doctor in China - Professor Huwer and the German-Chinese medical tradition. Deutsches Ärzteblatt 1982; 79: Part 1: Booklet 2, page A-24 , Part 2: Booklet 3, page A-79
- Der Spiegel (5/1959, January 28, 1959): DRK-LAZARETT - pinch your nose
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German gynecologist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 1, 1899|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Saarbrücken|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 6, 1992|
|Place of death||Berchtesgaden|