life and work
André Sortais, who grew up in a bourgeois family in Paris , attended the strictly Catholic Collège Stanislas , was involved in Action française and entered the Bellefontaine monastery in 1924 (after military service) . There he took the religious name Gabriel and was ordained a priest in 1931. He was prior from 1932 and abbot from 1936 to 1952. From 1940 he was a volunteer chaplain , was wounded and was sent to the Oflag II D camp in Groß Born (today: Borne Sulinowo ) until January 1941 . When he returned to his monastery, at the end of 1941 he managed to release 50 hostages from German hands. From 1951 until his sudden death during the Second Vatican Council , he was the sixth Abbot General of the Cistercians of the Strict Observance ( Trappist ) and Abbot of the Cîteaux Monastery . He is buried in the Tre Fontane monastery.
- Les choses qui plaisent à Dieu . Abbaye de Bellefontaine, Bégrolles-en-Mauges , 1968, 1996, LCCN 68-131265 (Collected Writings).
- Guy-Marie Oury: Dom Gabriel Sortais, Abbé Général des Cisterciens Réformés (1902–1963) . Solesmes Abbey, Sablé-sur-Sarthe, 1975, ISBN 2852740117 .
- English: Dom Gabriel Sortais: An Amazing Abbot in Turbulent Times . Cistercian Publications, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 2006, ISBN 9780879070076 .
- Literature by and about Gabriel Sortais in the SUDOC catalog (Association of French University Libraries)
- Sortais, Gabriel . Encyclopaedia Cisterciensis
- Sortais, Gabriel . In: Biographia Cisterciensis, version of July 28, 2011
- Information on Gabriel Sortais in the database of the Bibliothèque nationale de France .
- Review: Mary Patricia Dougherty: Dom Gabriel Sortais: An Amazing Abbot in Turbulent Times (review) . ( Memento of the original from March 26, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. In: The Catholic Historical Review Volume 93/3, July 2007, pp. 683-684 (English).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Sortais, André (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French Roman Catholic clergyman, Trappist, abbot and abbot general|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 22, 1902|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Meudon|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 13, 1963|
|Place of death||Rome|