Gakuryū Ishii ( Japanese 石井 岳 龍 Ishii Gakuryū ; born January 15, 1957 in Fukuoka Prefecture ) to 2012 Sōgo Ishii ( Japanese 石井 聰 亙 Ishii Sōgo ) is a Japanese film director . In the opening and closing credits he is sometimes listed as Sohgo Ishii or Toshihiro Ishii .
Ishii is stylistically an outsider in Japanese film, who mixes numerous genres in his films and deliberately breaks conventions. He is considered to be one of the most important contemporary Japanese film directors.
In 1986 he made the short film ½ Mensch with the Einstürzende Neubauten . Ishii's typical stylistic devices are camera work à la Shinya Tsukamoto (very experimental, hectic camera work and fast cuts).
- 1978: Kōkō Daipanikku
- 1980: Kuruizaki Thunder Road
- 1981: Shuffle
- 1982: Burst City
- 1984: The reverse jet family
- 1986: ½ human (film)
- 1995: August in the water
- 1997: Labyrinth of Dreams
- 2000: Electric Dragon 80,000 volts
- 2003: Dead End Run
- 2012: Isn't Anyone Alive?
- 2013: The Flower of Shanidar
- Ivo Ritzer, Marcus Stiglegger: New East Asian Cinema . Reclam, 2015, ISBN 978-3-15-019316-7 , p. 102.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Ishii, Sogo; Ishii, Sogo; 石井聰 亙 (Japanese); Ishii, Sohgo; Ishii, Toshihiro|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Japanese film director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 15, 1957|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Fukuoka Prefecture , Japan|