Gaston Louis Mayer
Mayer attended high school and the higher commercial school in Bruchsal . As a geologist and paleontologist, he was self-taught. From 1951 to 1978 he worked in the State Collection for Natural History in Karlsruhe as a taxidermist and research assistant.
He dealt with ammonites, discovered among other things the ceratite pavement in the quarry in the Schindgasse in Bruchsal and published on the geology of the Kraichgau . He also published historical works on, among others, Carl Christian Gmelin and the history of geology, local history and the history of the natural history collections in Baden.
- The first Ceratites antecedens BEYRICH from the wave dolomite of Ittersbach (Krels Karlsruhe) and other occurrences of this species. Der Aufschluss 22, Göttingen 1971, pp. 126–128
- Ceratites with sculptural anomalies from the southern German and French shell limestone. Der Aufschluss 29, Heidelberg 1978, pp. 71-75
- Two fastigate ceratites from the Main Franconian main shell limestone. Der Aufschluss 32, Heidelberg 1981, pp. 345-347
- An abnormal Tetractinella trigonella v. SCHLOTH. from the Main Franconian shell limestone. Der Aufschluss 33, Heidelberg 1982, pp. 338-339
- Obituary in Carolinea, Volume 66, 2008, pp. 141–149
|SURNAME||Mayer, Gaston Louis|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Geologist, paleontologist and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 17, 1913|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Tablat, Canton of St. Gallen , Switzerland|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 26, 2008|
|Place of death||Karlsruhe|