Koberwein, the son of the actor Josef Koberwein (1774-1857), studied from 1836 to 1839 at the Academy of United Fine Arts in Vienna and with the portrait and miniature painter Joseph Weidner . 1841–1843 he was a student of Paul Delaroche and at the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris . In 1843 he returned to Vienna and worked as a portrait painter. From 1846 at the latest he was a photographer, from the 1840s he took part in the exhibitions of the Vienna Association for Fine Arts. Koberwein was again in Paris in 1849, where he worked as a portrait painter, then temporarily in Saint Petersburg . At the end of the 1850s he moved to London, from 1859 to 1878 he participated in exhibitions at the Royal Academy of Arts , the British Institution and the Society of British Artists .
- Portrait of Paul Delaroche, undated, pastel, 62 × 49 cm (Bonhams auction, Pictures, Furniture, European and Oriental Works of Art, November 28, 2006, Banbury Road, Oxford 2006, lot 87).
- Portrait of a Zouave warrior, holding a bayonet, 1858, oil / canvas, 82 × 65 cm, signed: Paris (Bonhams auction, Pictures, Furniture, European and Oriental Works of Art, November 28, 2006, Banbury Road, Oxford 2006, Lot 185)
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Koberwein, Georg . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 12th part. Kaiserlich-Königliche Hof- und Staatsdruckerei, Vienna 1864, p. 175 ( digitized version ).
- Lisa Hackmann: Koberwein, Georg , in: Bénédicte Savoy, France Nerlich (Ed.): Paris apprenticeship years. A lexicon for training German painters in the French capital. Volume 1: 1793-1843 . De Gruyter, Berlin / Boston 2013, ISBN 978-3-11-029057-8 , pp. 148–149.
- Ludwig Eisenberg : Large biographical lexicon of the German stage in the XIX. Century . Verlag von Paul List , Leipzig 1903, pp. 520 f., ( Textarchiv - Internet Archive ).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian painter and photographer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1820|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||1876|
|Place of death||London|