Gottfried Haberler studied at the University of Vienna with Friedrich von Wieser and Ludwig von Mises . After receiving his doctorate in 1925, he continued his studies in England and the United States. He taught from 1928 to 1936 at the University of Vienna, at the London School of Economics and from 1936 to 1971 at Harvard University in the United States . Together with Arthur Spiethoff, he developed the economic cycle phase model and also dealt with international trade. From 1950 he was the first president of the International Economic Association . In 1980 he was awarded the international Antonio Feltrinelli Prize .
In London, David Rockefeller was one of his students. According to his testimony, Haberler “had a reputation for being a staunch defender of free trade. In the 1930s, when nations around the world joined in the siren song of protectionism, its ideas were ignored, but they made a big impact as international trade expanded after World War II and global economic growth rose dramatically. "
- 1972: Bernhard Harms Prize from the Kiel Institute for the World Economy
- 1939 Elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Honorary doctorate from the Vienna University of Economics and Business
- International trade , Springer 1933.
Prosperity and Depression , Geneva 1937.
- Prosperity and depression , 2nd ext. Edition of the German edition, Tübingen-Zurich 1955.
- Jennifer Blair: Taking Aim at the New International Economic Order . In: P. Mirowski, D. Plehwe (eds.): The Road from Mont Pèlerin: The Making of the Neoliberal Thought Collective, Harvard University Press, Cambridge / London 2009, pp. 347–385.
- Franz Haslinger: Haberler, Gottfried. In: Harald Hagemann , Claus-Dieter Krohn (Hrsg.): Biographical manual of the German-speaking economic emigration after 1933. Volume 1: Adler – Lehmann. Saur, Munich 1999, ISBN 3-598-11284-X , pp. 216-220.
- Werner Röder; Herbert A. Strauss (Ed.): International Biographical Dictionary of Central European Emigrés 1933-1945 . Volume 2.1. Munich: Saur, 1983 ISBN 3-598-10089-2 , p. 447
- Literature by and about Gottfried Haberler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Gottfried Haberler in the German Digital Library
- Biography (English)
- David Rockefeller: Memories of a World Banker. FinanzBook Verlag, Munich 2008 ISBN 978-3-89879-327-8 , p. 112
- Past and Present Officers. aeaweb.org ( American Economic Association ), accessed October 29, 2015 .
- Bernhard Harms Prize. (No longer available online.) Ifw-kiel.de , archived from the original on June 14, 2013 ; Retrieved June 15, 2013 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- www.wu.ac.at , queried March 6, 2018
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian-American economist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||20th July 1900|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Purkersdorf|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 6, 1995|
|Place of death||Washington, DC|