Hans Peter Schönlaub
life and work
Schönlaub graduated from high school in Spittal an der Drau , did his military service in 1961 and studied from 1962 first for teaching and from 1963 geology, mineralogy and paleontology at the University of Graz , where he received his doctorate in 1970 under Helmut W. Flügel , and was from 1971 at the Federal Geological Institute. In 1973 he spent a year at Ohio State University and in 1983 with a Humboldt fellowship at RWTH Aachen University . In 1992 he was appointed associate professor for historical geology at the University of Salzburg. In addition to Salzburg (since the 1970s) he has also given lectures at the universities of Graz and Vienna (since 1979). In 1991 he became head of the paleontology department at the Federal Institute. As director of the Federal Agency, he made particular efforts to establish international networking and public relations.
He dealt in particular with the stratigraphy of the Austrian Paleozoic Era with the help of microfossils ( conodonts ). Regional focuses of his work were the Carnic Alps (where he mapped in the 1970s) and Carinthia .
He has been a full member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences since 2002 and has headed its geoscientific center, which was newly established this year, since 2007. He is a member of the IUGS sub-commission for the stratigraphy of Silurian and Devonian and its working group for the Ordovician / Silurian and Devonian / Carboniferous border. He is a member of the European Working Group on Geotope Protection.
In 1999 he received the Leopold von Buch badge .
He is married and has three children.
- The Palaeozoic of Austria , Federal Geological Institute 1979 online (PDF; 21.2 MB)
- The catastrophe that came from outer space. 10 years of the Alvarez impact hypothesis , In: Annual Report of the Federal Geological Institute, Volume 132, 1989, pp. 507-529, pdf
- The real hero is nature - Geopark Karnische Region , Verlag der Geologische Bundesanstalt 2005
- Editor with Thomas Hofmann Geo-Atlas Austria: The Diversity of the Geological Subsurface , Vienna, Böhlau 2007
- From the Big Bang to the Gail Valley: 500 million years of geological history in the Carnic region , Geopark Carnic Alps 1988
- Thomas Hofmann : Hanspeter Schönlaub: 65 years and still going strong ... . In: Jahrbuch der Geologische Bundesanstalt Volume 147, 2007, pp. 7–12 ( PDF ).
- for example Schönlaub Carnic Alps, Field Trip A.-Guidebook Second European Conodont Symposium, 1980
|SURNAME||Schönlaub, Hans Peter|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian geologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 19, 1942|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Guestrow|