Weinfurter studied technical physics at the Vienna University of Technology from 1978 , where he obtained his diploma in 1983 and his doctorate in 1987, and completed his habilitation in 1996 at the University of Innsbruck ( Quantum Interferometry ). From 1988 to 1991 he was at the Hahn-Meitner-Institut in Berlin and from 1991 university assistant in Innsbruck, where he was in Anton Zeilinger's group . From 1996 to 1999 he was an APART research fellow at the Austrian Academy of Sciences. He has been Professor of Quantum Optics at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich since 1999 .
Weinfurter dealt, among other things, with quantum entanglement and quantum cryptography , where he and Christian Kurtsiefer are known for a record in the transmission of a bug-proof message over 23.4 km between Zugspitze and Karwendel in 2002.
In 1996 he received the Fritz Kohlrausch Prize and the Start Prize and in 2003 the Philip Morris Research Prize with Christian Kurtsiefer . In 2004 he was one of the recipients of the Descartes Prize for the IST-QuComm project, and in 2014 he received the Copernicus Prize . Weinfurter has been a "Fellow" at the Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics , Garching, since 2010 .
- with Thomas Herzog, Paul G. Kwiat , Anton Zeilinger Complementarity and the quantum eraser , Phys. Rev. Letters, vol. 75, 1995, p. 3034
- with Paul Kwiat, Anton Zeilinger Interaction- Free Quantum Measurement , Spectrum of Science, 1997, Issue 1
- with Kurtsiefer, P. Zarda, Matthäus Halder, PM Gorman, PR Tapster, JG Rarity A step towards global key distribution , Nature, Volume 419, 2002, p. 450
- with Kurtsiefer, S. Mayer, P. Zarda A stable solid-state source of single photons , Phys. Rev. Letters, vol. 85, 2000, p. 290
- with C. Schuck, G. Huber, C. Kurtsiefer Complete Deterministic Linear Optics Bell State Analysis , Phys. Rev. Lett., Volume 96, 2006, pp. 190501
- with J. Volz, M. Weber, D. Schlenk, W. Rosenfeld, J. Vrana, K. Saucke, C. Kurtsiefer: Observation of Entanglement of a Single Photon with a Trapped Atom , Phys. Rev. Lett., Volume 96, 2006, p. 030404
- with N. Kiesel, Ch. Schmid, U. Weber, G. Tóth, O. Gühne, R. Ursin: Experimental analysis of a four-qubit photon cluster state , Phys. Rev. Lett., Volume 95, 2005, p. 210502
- with N. Kiesel, Ch. Schmid, U. Weber, R. Ursin: Linear optics controlled-phase gate made simple , Phys. Rev. Lett., Volume 95, 2005, p. 210505
- with P. Walther, K. Resch, T. Rudolph, E. Schenck, V. Vedral, M. Aspelmeyer, Anton Zeilinger: Experimental One-Way Quantum Computing , Nature, Volume 434, 2005, pp. 169-176
- Weinfurter's homepage at LMU Munich
- CV, at the starting price
- Phillip Morris Research Award, Uni Protocols 2003
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian physicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 14, 1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Steyr|