A local history museum or a local history room is a museum with a natural history and / or cultural history or folklore collection of the closer home. The aim of these museums is to show the historical development of a place ( local history ) or the region characterized as " home " ( regional history ) using collected exhibits and documents . City museums and the district museums , which are particularly widespread in Austria , represent a city or a district and thus a somewhat larger unit than is often a village or a small region.
Such a museum is usually housed in a historically significant or thematically typical building; it is often a former village school, as in the past teachers often brought together collections on local history and later, after this school was closed, the building, which was already owned by the municipality, continued to be used as a museum could be. For this purpose, several historical buildings from the surrounding area have been collected in some museum villages and rebuilt at a new location.
In some cases, the character of the local history museum is superimposed with the representation of a famous or well-known person from the area, or the focus is on a single branch of the economy that was or is particularly formative for the region.
The demands of the individual local museums in terms of science and didactics are different and also depend on the amount of funds available or voluntary commitment. However, compared to state museums, they are often characterized by a strong and original liveliness that stems from their regional reference.
- Oliver Bätz u. a. (Ed.): Experiment Heimatmuseum. On the theory and practice of regional museum work. (= Documentation of a conference in the Emil Fischer Heimatmuseum Neukölln, Museum for Urban Culture and Regional History, organized by the Neukölln District Office of Berlin, Department of Public Education / Art Department, May 27-29, 1987). Jonas-Verlag, Marburg 1988, ISBN 978-3-922561-72-9 .
- Oswald Adolf Erich, Richard Beitl : Dictionary of German Folklore. (= Kröner's pocket edition. Volume 127). 3. Edition. Kröner, Stuttgart 1974, ISBN 3-520-12703-2 , pp. 345-347.
- Matthias Henkel , Friedrich Scheele, Markus Walz: Locality as a topic: local, city, regional museums. In: Markus Walz (Hrsg.): Museum manual - history, tasks, perspectives. Springer, Heidelberg 2016, ISBN 978-3-476-02375-9 , pp. 107-113.
- Martin Roth : Heimatmuseum - On the history of a German institution. (= Berlin writings on museum studies. Volume 7). Gebr. Mann, Berlin 1990, ISBN 978-3-7861-1547-2 .
- Birgitta Ringbeck: Village Collection - House of Homeland - Local History Museum. Aspects of the history of an institution since the turn of the century. In: Edeltraud Klueting (ed.): Antimodernism and Reform - On the history of the German homeland movement. Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, Darmstadt 1991, ISBN 978-3-534-11528-0 , pp. 288-319.
- Heimatstuben . In: Online encyclopedia on the culture and history of Germans in Eastern Europe
- Heimatmuseum, das. Duden.de, accessed on March 31, 2017 .