Matthias Henkel (historian)
Matthias Henkel (* 1962 in Kassel ) is a German cultural historian and folklorist . He is a member of the management team at the Center for Audience Development at the Institute for Culture and Media Management, Freie Universität Berlin , and also founded the Embassy of Culture agency in February 2016 as a culture and museum advisor. Between 2013 and 2016 he worked as a brand consultant in the cultural sector for MetaDesign AG and as press spokesman for the Schwabinger Kunstfund task force .
Henkel studied folklore, prehistory and early history, anthropology and botany at the University of Göttingen and graduated in 1990 with a master's degree . In 1996 he received his doctorate with a thesis in the field of interdisciplinary material culture research in folklore / European ethnology. After a traineeship at the Weser Renaissance Museum at Brake Castle and assistantship at the University of Göttingen, he worked at the Germanisches Nationalmuseum Nürnberg from 1996 to 2001 , initially in the field of marketing and communication, later as press spokesman and personal advisor to the general director.
Between 2001 and 2009, Henkel headed the press, communications and sponsoring department in the General Directorate of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin , Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation under General Director Peter-Klaus Schuster .
From January 2009 to February 2013, Henkel was director of the Nuremberg City Museums , a museum association with seven museums, three collections and two historical sights. The museum association sees itself as a polycentric memory of the city , in which the individual subject areas of the city's history are presented in authentic locations. In order to develop the Nuremberg museum landscape, Henkel has organized the series of Nuremberg museological conferences since 2009 . In February 2013 he announced his resignation as museum director and his move as cultural advisor to the MetaDesign agency .
From the winter semester 2013/14 he will be teaching at the Institute for Culture and Media Management at the Free University of Berlin. His research focus is on cultural market analysis and visitor research as the basis for the development of demand-oriented, future-oriented communication strategies in culture and education management.
Henkel is involved in specialist committees for the interests of museology : He is a member of the board of trustees of the Museum Foundation Post and Telecommunication , advisory board of the specialist group history museums in the German Museum Association , member of the board of the working group of museums in Bavaria and member of the board of trustees of the Evangelical City Academy Nuremberg and scientific advisory board Culture in the German Association of Trade Journalists. Between 2010 and 2016 he was a member of the board of the German National Committee of the International Council of Museums (ICOM). At the General Conference of ICOM in Milan in 2016 he was elected to the board of the International Committee ICOM-MPR.
In June 2008, Henkel was voted cultural manager of the month by the Kulturmarken portal .
Teaching assignments and lecturing activities
- Berlin University of Technology and Economics : in the Museum Studies course and in the Public Service Management course
- University of Erlangen-Nuremberg , Chair of Regional History
- Participation in WISO-culturale. Art and culture for economists. Key qualification module within the bachelor's degree together with the Chair of Economics at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
- Volunteer academy of the state office for non-state museums in Bavaria
- Bavarian Museum Academy
- The Green Museum. Efficiency and sustainability in the museum
- The tiled stove. A subject of living culture in transition. A folklore and archaeological study based on Hildesheim sources. Diss. Göttingen 1996. 3 volumes digitized .
- The cup ... For drinking culture in the workplace. A job analysis from a cultural studies perspective. In: RW Brednich and H. Schmitt (eds.): Symbols in everyday life. About the meaning of signs in culture. Congress report of the German Society for Folklore, Karlsruhe 1997, pp. 226–239.
- The Paradigm Nuremberg: City of the Reichstag - City of the Nazi Party rallies - City of the Nuremberg Trials - City of Human Rights. In: Histoire & Mémoire. Contributions to the conference European Perspectives in Memorial Education . From October 19-21, 2009. Center de Documentation et de Recherche sur l'Enrôlement forcé, no. 3, Luxembourg 2011, pp. 61-71.
- How much museum does a city need? An introduction. In: Matthias Henkel (Ed.): How much museum does a city need? Documentation of the conference on 18./19. September 2009, Berlin 2011, 11–34, ISBN 978-3-936962-81-9 .
- Keep the art! - The order of things. Topic-centered considerations on the museum development plan of the museums of the city of Nuremberg from 2011. In: Henkel, Matthias (Ed.): Bewetzt die Kunst! . Order and requirement for future-oriented museum work. Proceedings of the museological conference 2011, Berlin 2012, pp. 27–46, ISBN 978-3-943132-19-9 .
- Museums as places of cultural education. In: Handbook of Cultural Education. (Cultural education. A series of the BKJ - Bundesvereinigung Kulturelle Kinder- und Jugendbildung, kopaed 30), Munich 2012, pp. 659–664, ISBN 978-3-86736-330-3 .
- ViSdP and general editor of the museum newspaper of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (2001–2009).
- et al. Museum newspaper of the museums in Nuremberg (since 2009).
- How much museum does a city need? Documentation of the conference on 18./19. September 2009, Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-936962-81-9 .
- Keep the art! . Order and requirement for future-oriented museum work. Proceedings of the museological conference 2011, Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-943132-19-9 .
- ↑ Geisteswissenschaften.fu-berlin.de
- ↑ embassy-of-culture.com
- ↑ taskforce-kunstfund.de
- ↑ wuv.de
- ↑ network.icom.museum
- Embassy of Culture Agency
- ICOM International Committee for Marketing and Public Relations
- German National Committee ICOM
- Taskforce Schwabing Art Finds
- Cultural Manager June / 2008 - Cultural Brands
- WISO-culturale. Art and culture for economists
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German cultural historian and folklorist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1962|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||kassel|