Institute for the research and development of early music in Dresden
In spring 2006 musicologists, musicians, lawyers and economists from Dresden founded the association "Musikschätze aus Dresden", the aim of which is to come to terms with the music history of Dresden from 1600 to 1815. The association entered into a cooperation with the Technical University of Dresden in November 2007 , as a result of which it became an affiliated institute of the TU Dresden with effect from January 28, 2008. Its work was carried out with the master’s course “Development of Older Music” at the Institute for Art and Musicology linked to the Philosophical Faculty.
The main concern of the affiliated institute was to process Saxony's rich Dresden musical heritage, to develop music and written documents, to research and evaluate them in terms of music history. The publication of unknown music sources, in particular the prints and manuscripts kept in the Saxon State and University Library (SLUB) in Dresden , was a central concern. The focus was on the Dresden court musicians Johann Adolph Hasse , Johann Gottlieb Naumann , Antonio Lotti and Johann David Heinichen as well as the musicians Johann Joachim Quantz , Georg Gebel the Younger and Johann Georg Pisendel . Students, doctoral students and university staff as well as musicians arranged the works of these composers for practical performance and made them available to the public in modern editions.
In addition, the institute included manuscripts from Dresden in its work, which are now in archives and libraries outside Dresden. These included, for example, some of the compositions by Johann Christoph Schmidt , court music director of Augustus the Strong , which are in the Berlin State Library , the British Library in London and the Bibliothèque du Collège Saint-Guillaume ( St. Thomas Abbey in Strasbourg ) .
The cooperation with the TU Dresden expired at the end of July 2017. Since then, further scientific work has been planned in connection with the edition “Monuments of Music in Dresden”.
The Institute for Researching and Developing Early Music in Dresden published sheet music and set up a database “Early Music in Dresden”, which is to function as a research portal and information center for early music. Employees and students of the Technical University of Dresden, the University of Music Carl Maria von Weber Dresden , the University of Marburg , were involved in the development of the database “Old Music from Dresden” (“Research Forum Old Music Dresden”) and the edition series Monuments of Music in Dresden . the RISM work center at the Bavarian State Library in Munich and the RISM work center at SLUB Dresden, musicians, post-doctoral candidates and composers from Germany and the United States .
The completed editions are published in the digital collections of the SLUB. In addition, since spring 2012 the Ries & Erler music publisher has been publishing all volumes of the “Monuments of Music in Dresden” as printed editions and offers performance material for musicians and music researchers.
- Hans-Günter Ottenberg and Reiner Zimmermann (eds.): Musicians' migration and music transfer between Bohemia and Saxony in the 18th century. Report on the International Symposium from November 7th to 9th, 2008. Dresden 2012.
Sheet music editions
- Johann Gottlieb (?) Graun, Jan Antonin Reichenauer , Franz (Jakob) Horneck: Five bassoon concertos. Edited by Hans-Günter Ottenberg. Ries and Erler, Berlin 2012, ISMN M-013-51295-9. (= Musical treasures from Dresden, Ed. 1.)
- Reiner Zimmermann: “Monuments of music art in Saxony” - still up-to-date? In: Partita - Twenty-seven movements on the history of music in Dresden. Festschrift for Hans-Günter Ottenberg on his 65th birthday. Edited by Wolfgang Mende with the collaboration of Sebastian Biesold and Uta Dorothea Sauer. Dresden 2012, pp. 93-100. ISBN 978-3-942411-55-4 .
- Reiner Zimmermann: “Monuments of music art in Saxony” - publication on the Internet. In: Das Orchester , February 2012. Schott, Mainz 2012. pp. 38–39.
- David Sogg: Dresden and its Forgotten Oboe an Bassoon Concertos. In: Double Reed News , No. 99, Summer 2012, Online PDF; 3.7 MB) . Pp. 9-16. (
- Institute for the research and development of early music in Dresden at the TU Dresden
- Music archive digital - old sheet music online. In: Märkische Oderzeitung , March 2, 2012.
- Institute at musikschaetze-dresden.de, accessed on May 4, 2020.
- Directory on the institute's website, accessed on January 31, 2013.
- Announcement ( Memento of the original from April 16, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. on the publisher's website, accessed January 31, 2013.
- Migration of musicians and music transfer between Bohemia and Saxony in the 18th century, report on the international symposium from November 7th to 9th, 2008
- Description on the website of the institute, accessed on January 31, 2013.