Istituto Nazionale di Statistica
|Arose from||Istituto centrale di statistica|
|Authority management||Giorgio Alleva|
The Istituto Nazionale di Statistica ( ISTAT ) (German: National Institute for Statistics ) is the Italian statistical office based in Rome , similar to the Federal Statistical Office in Germany , Statistics Austria in Austria or the Federal Statistical Office in Switzerland . The ISTAT was founded in 1926, among other things it is responsible for carrying out the census .
In addition to the census, economic activity (productivity), consumer behavior, everyday culture , health, leisure activities, construction activity and much more are also observed. Recently, in connection with the introduction of the euro , which also led to a (perceived) price increase in Italy (see also Teuro ), the ISTAT's responsibility for the consumer price index has come into the public eye (2002–2005). The selection of the shopping cart , which should not correspond to the actual expenses , was particularly criticized.
Other statistical offices
In Italy there are two other national institutes in addition to the ISTAT, which have special statistical functions: ISFOL - Istituto per lo sviluppo della formazione professionale dei lavoratori in the field of vocational training and INEA - Istituto nazionale di economia agraria in the field of agriculture. These are also known as Enti di informazione statistica (Authorities for statistical information).
In addition, numerous authorities, corporations and associations have their own statistical offices:
- the ministries ,
- national authorities and associations (including the Italian ADAC, ACI - Automobile club d'Italia , the National Council for Economy and Labor CNEL - Consiglio nazionale dell'economia e del lavoro , the Italian Olympic Committee CONI , the pension funds INPS and INAIL , the Italian state railways etc.),
- the regions and autonomous provinces (in South Tyrol, for example, the State Institute for Statistics of the Autonomous Province of Bolzano - South Tyrol , abbreviated ASTAT),
- the prefectures - district offices of the government ,
- the provinces ,
- the chambers of commerce ,
- the municipalities ,
- the municipal associations (e.g. mountain communities ).
Together, the individual statistical offices form SISTAN ( Sistema statistico nazionale ), the national statistical system that provides Italy and international organizations with official statistics.
In 2014 ISTAT received the Ig Nobel Prize in the economic field for demonstrating that Italy leads the way in meeting European targets for economic growth - when income from prostitution, drug trafficking, smuggling and illegal financial transactions are included.
- Website of the Istituto Nazionale di Statistica (ISTAT) (Italian, English)
- Demography page at ISTAT
- Website of the Sistema statistico nazionale (SISTAN) (Italian)
- South Tyrolean State Institute for Statistics (ASTAT) (Italian, German)