Berardinelli grew up in Morristown , Cherry Hill and Piscataway Township . He studied electrical engineering at the University of Pennsylvania from 1985 to 1990 . He then worked for Bellcore Company for 15 years in the video, fiber optic and software sectors .
He had been working as a film critic since 1993 when he posted his first reviews on Usenet . He later started writing the ReelThoughts blog on reelviews.net. He was named the best internet film critic by the renowned film critic Roger Ebert . Both became friends and Ebert wrote the foreword for his 2003 and 2005 published books Reel Views . He published over 4,700 film reviews on the ReelViews and Rotten Tomatoes websites (as of March 2017), adding around 250 annually. His ReelViews website is accessed approximately 80,000 times a day. His reviews are often quoted in Germany, including on the Filmstarts.de website .
In September 2013, Berardinelli announced that he would be working on a trilogy of novels called The Last Whisper of the Gods . The book was published in 2015. The two sequels The Curse of the Gift and The Shadow of the Otherverse followed in 2016.
Berardinelli has been married to a reader of his blog since 2005. You have two children born in 2010 and 2019.
- Reel Views: The Ultimate Guide to the 1,000 Best Modern Movies on DVD and Video. (2003)
- Reel Views 2: The Ultimate Guide to the Best 1,000 Modern Movies on DVD and Video. (2005)
- The Last Whisper of the Gods (2015)
- The Curse of the Gift (2016)
- The Shadow of the Otherverse (2016)
- The Lingering Haze (2017)
- Roger Ebert about James Berardinelli on reelviews.net (English)
- ReelViews (English)
- An autobiography on rottentomatoes.com (English)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Berardinelli, James D. (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American film critic and writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 25, 1967|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New Brunswick , New Jersey|