Joachim Herz Foundation
|Joachim Herz Foundation
|Foundation under civil law
|Education, science and research
|15,800,000 euros (2018)
|1,350,000,000 euros (2017)
The Joachim Herz Foundation is a German non-profit foundation under civil law. It is based in Hamburg and is involved regionally, nationally and internationally. It focuses on operational projects in the three program areas of personality development, natural sciences and economics. It also supports small, innovative third-party projects in these three areas. Since 2017, the Joachim Herz Foundation has also been supporting research projects in the fields of medicine, law and engineering.
The focus of their work is on children, adolescents and young adults who are in school, training or studying or who are looking for orientation when starting their careers.
Foundation and financing
The foundation was established in 2008 after the death of the Hamburg entrepreneur Joachim Herz . While he was still alive, he and his wife Petra Herz planned to set up a foundation and together they laid the financial basis of the foundation's assets of around 1.3 billion euros. According to the will of the founder and in accordance with the articles of association, the foundation capital is predominantly invested and tied up in the business. The majority of this is invested indirectly with Beiersdorf AG . In addition, there is a real estate portfolio that is mainly located in the USA. More than 10 million euros are available annually for the charitable work of the Joachim Herz Foundation.
Organs of the foundation
The body of the foundation is the board of directors, the board of trustees and the joint foundation committee. Henneke Lütgerath has been the chairman of the three-person board responsible for operational work since January 1, 2017. He has taken over the chairmanship from Petra Herz. In February 2016, after eight years of development work at the head of the foundation, she switched to the honorary chairmanship. Ulrich Müller has been another board member since 2014. The third position has been held by Dr. Nina Lemmens occupied.
The chairman of the board of trustees is Christian Olearius, chairman of the supervisory board of the MMWarburg & CO . The board of trustees is completed by Albrecht Wagner (deputy chairman), professor emeritus for physics, and Michael Behrendt, chairman of the supervisory board of Hapag-Lloyd AG. The board of trustees has the function of a supervisory board.
The foundation is predominantly operational, which includes cooperation with other foundations and partners from the education and science sectors. In its work, the foundation is independent of party political, state and religious interests. In line with the founder's entrepreneurial spirit, their work is determined by principles such as competition, quality and efficiency. In the opinion of the foundation, young people should be able to shape their lives independently and in a self-determined manner and thus contribute to an efficient and tolerant society, regardless of their origin or social status.
Program area personality development
With the projects in this program area, the foundation wants to support young people's initiative, strengthen their personality and promote their skills. The grips wins scholarship program has been supporting talented and committed students who have to overcome social, cultural or financial hurdles since 2011.
At home game. The foundation is committed to education together with the Alfred Toepfer Foundation F.V.S. in the Hamburg quarters of Wandsbek-Hohenhorst and Harburg Neuwiedenthal / Hausbruch and Billstedt for better educational opportunities for schoolchildren.
Science program area
The foundation pays particular attention to introducing children and young people to the natural sciences, to discovering and promoting talent potential. Based on this, the foundation also supports young academics as well as excellent science and research.
In the natural sciences program area, the foundation finances, among other things, scholarships for doctoral students and postdocs, teacher training courses and the Hamburg Student Research Center.
The foundation participates in the MINT-Forum Hamburg in order to promote the enthusiasm of Hamburg schoolchildren for the natural sciences and technology. The foundation has been in charge of the LEIFIphysik Internet portal since 2011 and has been awarding the Hamburg Prize for Theoretical Physics since 2013 .
Program area economy
It is a central concern of the foundation to prepare people for complex economic issues and problems at an early stage. In addition, entrepreneurial talents are to be promoted in order to ensure that limited resources are used responsibly. In the eyes of the foundation, responsible entrepreneurship is a prerequisite for the sustainable economic performance of a society.
The Foundation's German Business Prize has been awarded in the business program area since 2016. In this program area, too, the Joachim Herz Foundation finances scholarships for doctoral students and postdocs, teacher training courses and the largest student congress in the field of business.
As of September 2017, the foundation's assets are invested as follows: 75% are invested in company investments , a large part of them in Beiersdorf AG , 12.0% in securities and 13.0% in real estate, which is mainly located in the USA.
- Who we are - Joachim Herz Foundation. Retrieved September 25, 2017 .
- Facts & Figures - Joachim Herz Foundation. Retrieved September 25, 2017 .
- New CEO for the Joachim Herz Foundation. Retrieved July 3, 2017 .
- New CEO for the Joachim Herz Foundation. Retrieved July 3, 2017 .
- joachim-herz-stiftung.de ( Memento of the original from December 15, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF; 104 kB)
- joachim-herz-stiftung.de ( Memento of the original from February 28, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF; 119 kB)
- Intro - home game for education. Retrieved September 25, 2017 .
- Add-on Fellowships - Joachim Herz Foundation. Retrieved September 25, 2017 .
- Financing of teacher training - Joachim Herz Foundation. Retrieved September 25, 2017 .
- Research Center Hamburg - Joachim Herz Foundation. Retrieved September 25, 2017 .
- Initiators - MINTforum. Retrieved September 25, 2017 .
- About LEIFI Physik. Retrieved June 24, 2020 .
- Business- Joachim Herz Foundation. Retrieved September 25, 2017 .
- YES! - Young Economic Summit - The next generation economic summit. Retrieved September 25, 2017 .
- Brief information about the foundation. Foundation website, accessed September 24, 2015.