Johann Jakob Bethmann-Hollweg
The son of the Frankfurt merchant Johann Abraham Hollweg (1698–1762) and his wife Anna Elisabeth born. Together with Christian Friedrich Laué, Bengerath founded the cotton dealership Hollweg & Laué in 1774 . In 1780 he married Susanne Elisabeth Bethmann (1763–1831), a daughter of Johann Philipp Bethmann , in whose bank he was already a partner.
Since the marriage he has been called "Bethmann-Hollweg". In 1781 he joined the Bethmann Brothers banking house as a partner .
Bethmann-Hollweg had four children:
- Anna Elisabeth (1781–1850), married Joachim Andreas Grunelius in 1801.
- Johann Philipp (1791–1812) died on an educational trip in Florence. The three-part epitaph for Johann Philipp created by Bertel Thorvaldsen is now in the Liebieghaus .
- Margarethe Luise (1793–1831), married Johann Georg Konrad von Saint-George.
- Moritz August (1795–1877), lawyer and Prussian minister of education. In 1840 he was raised to hereditary nobility. His grandson was the German Chancellor Theobald von Bethmann Hollweg .
Bethmann-Hollweg lived in a town house on the Großer Hirschgraben , on the north side of which between the White Deer and the Goethe House . In his household he employed u. a. the geographer Carl Ritter as tutor for his two sons. His sons-in-law joined the bank as partners.
He owned an estate in Oberrad , the so-called Bassompierrsche Landhaus . It later fell to his son-in-law Saint-George, who had a landscape garden designed on the site by the Frankfurt city gardener Sebastian Rinz . Today the Philosophical-Theological University of Sankt Georgen is located here .
Bethmann-Hollweg is buried in the family crypt in the main cemetery in Frankfurt am Main .
- Wolfgang Klötzer (Hrsg.): Frankfurter Biographie . Personal history lexicon . First volume. A – L (= publications of the Frankfurt Historical Commission . Volume XIX , no. 1 ). Waldemar Kramer, Frankfurt am Main 1994, ISBN 3-7829-0444-3 , p. 65-66 .
|SURNAME||Bethmann-Hollweg, Johann Jakob|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hollweg, Johann Jakob|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German banker and businessman|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 7, 1748|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Frankfurt am Main|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 22, 1808|
|Place of death||Frankfurt am Main|