Brinker passed the state examination (German Philology, Protestant Theology) at the University of Bonn in 1964 , where he spoke in 1966 on the subject of forms of holiness. PhD studies on the figure of the saint in Middle High German legend epics of the 12th and 13th centuries . 1967-68 he was a research assistant at the Institute for German Language in Mannheim , 1968-72 research assistant at the Chair of German Philology ( Hans Glinz ) of the German Institute of the Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule in Aachen , where he started his work on constituent structure grammar and in 1972 Operational clause analysis habilitated .
From 1972 to 1974 he taught in Aachen as a scientific adviser and professor, before moving to a full professorship for linguistics at the Germanic Seminar (now Institute for German Studies I ) at the University of Hamburg , to which he was a member for over 30 years.
Brinker is regarded as a distinguished text linguist who dealt mainly with conversation analysis, linguistic text analysis and grammar theory. He added the functions of obligation and declaration to Roman Jakobson's communication model .
- Forms of holiness. Studies on the figure of the saint in Middle High German legend epics of the 12th and 13th centuries . Universitätsverlag Bonn, Bonn 1968.
- Constituent structure grammar and operational clause analysis. Method-critical investigations into the syntax of the simple sentence in German. Athenaeum, Frankfurt 1972. ISBN 3-7610-7142-6 .
- Models and methods of structuralist syntax. An introduction. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart / Berlin / Cologne / Mainz 1977. ISBN 3-17-002749-2 .
- with Sven Sager: Linguistic Conversation Analysis. An introduction. Erich Schmidt Verlag, Berlin 1989. ISBN 3-503-02298-8 .
- Linguistic Text Analysis, An Introduction to Basic Concepts and Methods. (First edition 1985) 7th edition, edited by Sandra Anborn-Brinker. Erich Schmidt Verlag, Berlin 2010. ISBN 978-3-503-12206-6 .
- Wilfried Kürschner (Ed.): Linguist Handbook . Biographical and bibliographical data of German-speaking linguists of the present. Volume 1: A-L . Gunter Narr Verlag, Tübingen 1994, ISBN 3-8233-5000-5 , pages 104-105 (with biographical information on the career and a list of publications).
- Jörg Hagemann / Sven Sager (eds.): Written and oral communication. Terms, methods, analyzes. Festschrift for Klaus Brinker's 65th birthday. Stauffenburg-Verlag, Tübingen 2003. ISBN 3-86057-631-3 .
- Obituary for Klaus Brinker
- Klaus Brinker: Linguistic Text Analysis , 1985.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Germanist and linguist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 1, 1938|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Brackwede (near Bielefeld )|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 9, 2006|
|Place of death||Hamburg|