Come and let us honor Christ
Come and let's honor Christ ( EG 39, MG 261, RG 403, NG 19, AK 331, F&L 210) is a Christmas song by Paul Gerhardt . The text was first published in 1667 as a Christmas song in the Geistliche Andachten edited by Johann Georg Ebeling and later adopted in Johann Crüger's hymn book Praxis Pietatis Melica . It is based on the Quem pastores laudavere (from the Hohenfurt songbook around 1460) , which was particularly widespread in ancient times . and meter of the German song are borrowed from the first part of the Quempas melody. The Gerhardt version has eight stanzas, however, twice as many as the Latin one.
A choral setting based on Gerhardt's text on the traditional melody of the Quem pastores comes from Max Reger (from 12 German sacred chants ). Gerhardt's text is occasionally underlaid with a choral movement by Michael Praetorius (1571–1621). A complete new setting is by Ernst Pepping (from the song book based on poems by Paul Gerhardt, No. 7, 1945/46).
|First printed in 1667||Standard version today (EG 39)|
Come and let us honor Christ /
Come and let us honor Christ, turning our
- Christian Bunners: 39 - Come and let's honor Christ . In: Gerhard Hahn , Jürgen Henkys (Hrsg.): Liederkunde zum Evangelisches Gesangbuch . No. 4 . Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2002, ISBN 3-525-50325-3 , pp. 14–16 ( limited preview in Google Book search).
- Ingeborg Weber-Kellermann : The book of Christmas carols. Schott, Mainz 1982, ISBN 3-7957-2061-3 , p. 132 f.
- Come and let's honor Christ at Zeno.org .
- Free scores of Come, let us honor Christ in the Choral Public Domain Library - ChoralWiki (English)
- Choral setting by Michael Praetorius with text underlaid by Gerhardt (PDF, 107 kB)
- Johann Georg Ebeling: Pauli Gerhardi Spiritual Prayer: Consisting of one hundred and twenty songs. The Fifth Dozen Spiritual Devotional Songs. Christoph Runge, Berlin 1667, p. 136 f. ( Digitized version ).
- Johann Friedrich Bachmann (ed.): Paulus Gerhardts spiritual songs: historical-critical edition . Oehmigke, Berlin 1866, p. 279–280 ( digitized in the Google book search).
- First print 1667, p. 136 , p. 137
- Text version based on: Evangelical hymn book . Edition for the Evangelical Lutheran Churches in Bavaria and Thuringia. 2nd Edition. Evangelischer Presseverband für Bayern, Munich 1995, ISBN 3-583-12100-7 , p. 91. The sixth stanza is not printed on the ground floor .