Schlessinger studied at Stony Brook University , received his PhD in Physiology from Columbia University in Manhattan and has taught at the University of Southern California (USC), University of California, Los Angeles , (UCLA), University of California in Irvine, USC, and Pepperdine University specializes in marriage, family and childcare. Her father Monroe (Monty) Schlessinger came from a Jewish family, but had distanced himself from the faith. Her mother is Yolanda Ceccovini Schlessinger with Italian Catholic ancestors. Schlessinger has a sister eleven years younger. With her husband Lewis G. Bishop, Laura Schlessinger gave birth to a son (Deryk Schlessinger born 1985) at the age of 38 after revised contraceptive sterilization.
Schlessinger began in 1974 as a regular contributor to a talk radio format in California. As a result, she got her own broadcasts on local radio stations and from 1979 a weekly call-in-show on Sunday evening on a regional station in Santa Ana . In the 1980s she took over representation in daily broadcasts and finally got a permanent daily broadcast slot. The format has been sold to broadcasters across the United States since 1994. Schlessinger has a stake in the production company of your show, while Premiere Networks , the syndication subsidiary of iHeart Media , is responsible for the distribution . Your radio show today reaches around 8 million listeners through 275 connected radio stations. A few years ago there were 470 stations.
Her work as a radio presenter is controversial around the world. On her radio shows, she gives advice from a right-wing conservative point of view. Her books were on the New York Times bestseller list . Her last and most successful book The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands (German: Adequate care and feeding of husbands ) characterizes the content and direction of her radio shows. She herself sees her radio programs as a “mental health program”. Schlessinger is considered a critic of liberal views on the topics of sex, abortion, pornography, single mothers, suicide, prostitution, divorces, homosexuality, day care for children, double earners, working women, extramarital relationships, cohabitation without marriage certificate, contraception, remarriage after divorce, peer group - Dating , adoption only for heterosexual families with non-working mothers, planned pregnancies, psychology .
In August 2010 Schlessinger responded on the show with racist remarks to a caller seeking help because of racist hostility, which aroused massive criticism. The black caller reported that her white husband's friends were racist and used the "N-word". Schlessinger replied that the examples given by the caller were not racist and said “ niggers ” eleven times during the five-minute conversation . In response to the caller's criticism, Schlessinger replied: "If you are so overly sensitive to skin color and have no sense of humor, then you shouldn't get married outside of your race." A large number of radio stations took their show off their program. She then announced that she would not renew her contracts, which were due to expire at the end of 2010, and would withdraw from broadcasting.
Schlessinger converted to the Jewish faith in 1996. In 1998, Rabbi Reuven P. Bulka of Ottawa converted the whole family to an Orthodox religion . Her radio broadcasts are broadcast from her hometown of Santa Barbara, California. The local rabbi Moshe D. Bryski is said to have advised them on questions of ethics and morals. In 2003 she broke with religion and spoke in monologues on the radio about her difficulties with God and envy of her Christian followers' good relationship with God.
Books for help in life
- Ten Stupid Things Women Do to Mess Up Their Lives , February 1994
Ten Stupid Things Men Do to Mess Up Their Lives , September 1997
- portions repackaged as Damsals, Dragons, and Regular Guys , March 2000
Parenthood by Proxy: Don't Have Them if You Can't Raise Them , April 2000
- repackaged as Stupid Things Parents Do to Mess Up Their Kids , January 2001
- Ten Stupid Things Couples Do to Mess Up Their Relationships , January 2001
- The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands , January 2004
- Woman Power , July 2004 (workbook in addition to Proper Care ... )
- How Could You Do That ?! The Abdication of Character, Courage, and Conscience , January 1996
- The Ten Commandments: The Significance of God's Law in Our Everydays Lives with Rabbi Stuart Vogel, September 1999
- Why Do You Love Me? April 1999
- But I Waaaaaaaant It! April 2000
- Growing Up is Hard , April 2001
- Where's God? April 2003
- "I brought my son up to be a warrior" (German: "I raised my son to be a warrior")
- “I think what he's doing is so important, and so noble, that I'm willing to face what I need to face. I'm so proud to have produced someone with such character - willing to put his life on the line. " (German: "I think that what he does is so important and so noble that I am ready to face what I have to endure. I am so proud to have produced someone with such a character. He is willing to risk his life. ")
Magazines and articles
- For a few years Schlessinger published the sixteen-page color magazine The Dr. Laura Perspective , hired
- to this day Schlessinger publishes columns that are taken over by many newspapers and magazines, such as Jewish World Review , for which an online archive exists.
- Schlessinger publishes a monthly column in the World Net Daily .
- Vikie L. Bane: Dr. Laura: The Unauthorized Biography. Thomas Dunne Books, August 1999, ISBN 0-312-20530-9 .
- Dr. Laura's website
- alt.radio.talk.dr-laura (Usenet); Summaries, translations, links on Usenet
- Dr. Laura column in the Jewish World Review
- Tom Shale's remarks on Dr. Laura TV Show
- Forward article on Schlessinger's separation from Orthodox Judaism
- Dr. Laura on Tourette Syndrome
- Dr. Laura Defense of Tourette Syndrome Discussion
- FOXNews.com - Foxlife - Dr. Laura explains to woman: just do it
- Dr. Laura aims at the new Sodom: libraries
- Huffington Post: Dr. Laura's N-Word Rant: Radio Host Apologizes For Offensive Language , accessed August 19, 2010
- Critics: Dr. Laura's Rant Reiterates N-Word Is Never OK . In: ABC News , August 13, 2010.
- Dr Laura Schlessinger's 'N-word' outburst . In: The Guardian , August 13, 2013.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Schlessinger, Laura Catherine|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American radio presenter and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 16, 1947|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Brooklyn , New York|