|YouTube channel (entertainment, lifestyle, gaming)|
|founding||December 23, 2013 (Leeroy Matata)
July 31, 2018 (Leeroy wants to know)
September 30, 2019 (MatataBros)
Leeroy Matata (main channel)
Leeroy wants to know (second channel)
MatataBros (gaming channel)
|Subscribers||over 520,000 (Leeroy Matata)
over 950,000 (Leeroy wants to know)
over 33,000 (MatataBros)
|Calls||over 43 million (Leeroy Matata)
over 73 million (Leeroy wants to know)
over 330 thousand (MatataBros)
|Videos||over 155 (Leeroy Matata)
over 84 (Leeroy wants to know)
8 videos (MatataBros)
Leeroy Matata (* 31 December 1996 in Bonn as Marcel Gerber ) is a German Webvideoproduzent whose videos are mainly entertainment , lifestyle and gaming , but also turn serious issues. He has roots in Cameroon .
Leeroy was born in Bonn. Due to a bone disease ( juvenile osteoporosis ) he is a wheelchair user and was aiming for a career as a wheelchair basketball player . After five years in the youth department, Leeroy made the leap into the senior division in 2008 and gained his first experience in the top division. The coaches of the state team also noticed him during this time, and so he was able to compete in the German Junior Championships for the first time in 2014 for the NRW team, with which he promptly became German champion.
At the age of 16, Leeroy played for the German U19 national team for the first time. Two years later, the nomination for the U22 national team followed. At the same time, Leeroy moved at club level to the 2nd Bundesliga in Wiesbaden to take the next step there. In the second year he managed to lead the team to promotion to the 1st Bundesliga , while he attended high school away from the sports hall and graduated from high school in Bonn.
Since the beginning of February 2020, Leeroy has been moderating the format Der Moment for SWR .
From February 15 to 17, 2020, he was the only German YouTuber to take part in the 55th Munich Security Conference.
In his videos, Leeroy mainly deals with topics from the areas of comedy and lifestyle. But more serious issues are also addressed. In July 2018, for example, he opened the second channel “Leeroy wants to know!” And started with the format “Wie ist das ...” . In this format, Leeroy meets people who have had a difficult fate and talk about it in front of the camera. To date, the format has around 45 million viewers and over 800,000 subscribers to the channel. In addition, on September 30, 2019, he and his brother David Matata opened the “MatataBros” channel, which is currently about testing various games selected by the community.
- Landessportbund Nordrhein-Westfalen eV: Top Talent December 2015: Marcel Gerber. December 8, 2015, accessed July 5, 2019 .
- Perfume, Sex and Comedy - These Youtubers come from Bonn and the region. February 14, 2019, accessed August 5, 2019 .
- Marcel Gerber - Wheelchair Basketball: Gold Next Time. October 17, 2014, accessed July 5, 2019 .
- "Thunderstorm in the head" and Leeroy Matata - The topic of disability on YouTube. June 22, 2019, accessed on July 5, 2019 (German).
- Tanja Beeskow: The nominees in the “Best Newcomer” category. Retrieved October 18, 2019 .
- Frank Elstner's Newcomer Prize: Do influencers know him? September 30, 2019, accessed October 18, 2019 .
- Marc Bartl: The moment: SWR signs YouTuber Leeroy Matata. In: kress.de . February 10, 2020, accessed February 20, 2020 .
- Leeroy Matata meets abuse victims, teenage mothers and the homeless. stern TV , accessed on February 20, 2020 .
- Wheelchair experiment: YouTuber Simon Will earns respect! June 29, 2019, accessed July 5, 2019 .
- Leeroy. Retrieved July 5, 2019 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Gerber, Marcel (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German web video producer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 31, 1996|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bonn|