Linus Hauser studied philosophy, social studies and the Catholic religion at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main . After years as an assistant in Frankfurt and Münster, as a consultant for religious education in the Episcopal General Vicariate in Münster and as a professor for dogmatics and religious education at the Catholic University of Applied Sciences for Social Work and Religious Education in Freiburg i. Br. He completed his habilitation in 1995 in the field of dogmatic theology and was professor of systematic theology at the Justus Liebig University in Gießen from 1996 to 2016 .
Major works prior to his magnum opus “Critique of Neomythic Reason” relate to Immanuel Kant and the modern philosophy of science and its theological significance.
His academic focus is on researching the phenomenon of “neomyths”, which he presents in the context of a theory of modernity in his three-volume critique of neo-mythical reason from a cultural-historical perspective.
On January 22nd, 2011, Linus Hauser was elected chairman of the Christian- Ezidische Society for Cooperation in Research and Science (eV) at its inaugural meeting and held this chairmanship until October 26th, 2013.
Linus Hauser has been married since 1981 and has three children.
- Religion as a principle and a fact. The relationship between concrete subjectivity and principle theory in Kant's philosophy of religion and history. 1983.
- Theology and culture. Transcendental theological reflections on their interdependence. 1983.
- with Dietrich Wachler : end of the world, transition of the world. Science fiction between neo-myth and religion. Essays. 1989.
- with E. Nordhofen (ed.): In the network of terms. Religious-philosophical analyzes. Hermann Schrödter on his 60th birthday. 1994.
- Logic of theological epistemology. A formal and transcendental systematics dealing with Matthias-Joseph Scheeben and Karl Rahner on the background of the set theoretical philosophy of science. 1996.
- "May the force be with you!" Science fiction and religion. 1998.
- Extraterrestrial life. Challenge to theology? In: Heinz-Hermann Peitz (Ed.): The multiplied Christ - extraterrestrial life and Christian salvation history. Stuttgart 2004, ISBN 3-926297-90-5 . ( online )
- Critique of neo-mythical reason. Volume 1: People as gods of the earth. 2004. ( Review , Die Zeit )
- Beyond travel. The religious history context of science fiction. 2006.
- Critique of neo-mythical reason. Volume 2: Neomyths of calm finitude. The time from 1945 to today. 2009.
- Scientology. Birth of an Empire , Verlag Ferdinand Schöningh , Paderborn 2010, ISBN 978-3-506-77010-3 .
- The other of the term. Hermann Schrödter's Logic of Language and the Consequences for Religion , ed. with Eckhard Nordhofen , Verlag Ferdinand Schöningh, Paderborn 2013. ISBN 978-3-506-77627-3
- with Bausenhart, Guido / Eckholt, Margit (ed.): Future from the history of God. Theology in service at a church for tomorrow , Freiburg im Breisgau 2014.
- Critique of neo-mythical reason. Volume 3: The fictions of science on the way into the 21st century. Ferdinand Schöningh Verlag, Paderborn 2016, ISBN 978-3-506-78197-0
TV appearances (selection)
- 1998: Star Trek and its importance for young people , magazine article "Quer", BR.
- 1999/2000: Science-Fiction and Theology , 160 min, four parts, BR.
- 2001: Spaceship Enterprise - On the road on behalf of the Lord? Insights into the German Star Trek scene , 30 min, BR-Alpha.
- 2001: Science fiction literature - a mirror of modern myths and world views (1):… fantastic? , 30 min, BR-Alpha.
- 2001: Science Fiction Literature - Mirror of Modern Myths and Worldviews (2):… earthly? , 30 min, BR-Alpha.
- 2001: Science fiction literature - a mirror of modern myths and world views (3):… extraterrestrial? , 30 min, BR-Alpha.
- 2001: Science fiction literature - a mirror of modern myths and world views (4):… neo-mythical? , 30 min, BR-Alpha.
- 2007: How Much Myth Does Christianity Need? , 60 min, two-part, BR-Alpha.
- 2010: Faith without Myth? , 30 min, BR-Alpha.
- S. Breuer, in: The latest checklist of madness, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung 23 November 2009
- S. Breuer, we want to be men of gods. Linus Hauser exposes the spinning mills as neo-mythical reason, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung March 29, 2004
- C. Georg-Zöller, F.-J. Bäumer, T. Menges, M. Novian (Eds.): Myth and Neomythos - Signatures of the Zeitgeist. Ferdinand Schöningh Verlag, Paderborn 2016.
- I. Jüdt, Review, Zeitschrift für Anomalistik 5 (2005) 317-327
- E. Nordhofen, in: Too much color makes gray. Linus Hauser wrote a scholarly and entertaining critique of neo-mythical reason, in: DIE ZEIT 49th Week (2004)
- H. Zander, Menschliche Götter, in: Neue Zürcher Zeitung July 7, 2004
- H. Zander, Ein Pandämonium, in: Neue Zürcher Zeitung December 3, 2009
- Literature by and about Linus Hauser in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage at the University of Giessen
- “Critique of neo-mythical reason” , video interview by Alexander Seibold with Linus Hauser
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hauser, Linus Konrad (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Catholic theologian and cultural theorist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 24, 1950|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Frankfurt am Main|