Lucius Sempronius Atratinus (Consul 444 BC)
Lucius Sempronius Atratinus was a politician of the early Roman Republic . He came from the Roman family of the Sempronians and is said to be 444 BC. The consulate and 443 BC. One of the first two censors .
For the year 444 BC According to Roman tradition, three consular tribunes elected in the 3rd century BC had to abdicate after three months due to an incorrect choice. A member of this college of the highest civil servants had been Aulus Sempronius Atratinus , a brother of the Lucius Sempronius Atratinus discussed here. The latter has now been elected as a suffect consul together with Lucius Papirius Mugillanus . After the new office of censorship was introduced, Atratinus and his consular colleague are said to have been in 443 BC. Be the first two representatives of this office.
The consulates of the Sempronians are - according to the unanimous opinion within the scientific community - to be removed from the consular list of the early republic, as they were later, probably around 300 BC. Were interpolated. In the early phase of the republic only patricians could get to the consular office, but the gens Sempronia was clearly plebeian.
- T. Robert S. Broughton : The Magistrates Of The Roman Republic. Vol. 1: 509 BC - 100 BC Cleveland / Ohio: Case Western Reserve University Press, 1951. Reprinted unchanged 1968. (Philological Monographs. Ed. By the American Philological Association. Vol. 15, Part 1), pp. 53f
- Cicero , ad familiares 9, 21, 2; Livy 4, 7, 10-12; 4, 8, 7; Dionysios 11, 62, 2f.
- Cicero, ad familiares 9, 21, 2; Livy 4, 8, 7; Zonaras 7, 19.
- Compare the argumentation with Robert Werner : The beginning of the Roman republic. Historical-chronological studies of the early days of the libera res publica . Munich / Vienna: R. Oldenbourg Verlag, 1963, pp. 256-259
- Friedrich Münzer : Sempronius 25). In: Paulys Realencyclopadie der classischen Antiquity Science (RE). Volume II A, 2, Stuttgart 1923, column 1366.
- Alfred Klotz : On the history of Roman censorship. In: Rheinisches Museum für Philologie , Vol. NF 88 (1939), pp. 27–36 ( PDF; 2.3 MB ) (argues on pp. 32–36 against the historicity of the consulate and for that of the censorship).
|SURNAME||Sempronius Atratinus, Lucius|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Atratinus, Lucius Sempronius|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Roman consul 444 BC Chr.|
|DATE OF BIRTH||before 444 BC Chr.|
|DATE OF DEATH||after 443 BC Chr.|