Robert Werner (ancient historian)
After labor service , military service, imprisonment and expulsion from his homeland , Werner studied classical philology , history and Egyptology at the University of Munich from 1946 and received his doctorate there in 1950 under Hermann Strasburger and Alexander Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg . From 1952 he was an assistant at the Commission for Ancient History and Epigraphy , from 1955 then at the Seminar for Ancient History at the University of Munich. In 1960 Werner completed his habilitation at Munich University, where he was subsequently a private lecturer, and from 1962 university lecturer. In 1966 he received offers at the University of Graz and as full professor at the Free University of Berlin . Werner followed the call from Berlin and moved from there to Erlangen in 1968 , where he stayed until his retirement in 1989.
Werner's research focused on Roman history, ancient chronology and the marginal cultures of antiquity (e.g. in the Danube-Black Sea region, in Central Asia or in Cyprus). In the area of early Roman history, Werner pleaded in an internationally recognized study for the re-dating of the appointment of the first consuls and thus the beginning of the Roman Republic to around 470 BC. BC, because it was only at this time that an authentic tradition of the list of officials (fasti) began .
- Cicero and P. Cornelius Scipio Aemilianus . Dissertation Munich 1950.
- The beginning of the Roman Republic. Historical-chronological studies of the early days of the libera res publica . Oldenbourg, Munich 1963.
- Kürschner's German Scholars Calendar 2003 . de Gruyter, Munich 2003, vol. 3, p. 3660.
- Ernst Baltrusch : History of Ancient History at the Free University. In: Karol Kubicki, Siegward Lönnendonker (ed.): The historical sciences at the Free University of Berlin (= contributions to the history of science of the Free University of Berlin. Vol. 2). V & R unipress, Göttingen 2008, ISBN 978-3-89971-475-3 , pp. 11–40, here: pp. 16 and 39.
- Werner Dahlheim , Jürgen von Ungern-Sternberg : Robert Werner † . In: Gnomon Vol. 77, 2005, Issue 6, pp. 573-576 ( first page online at JSTOR ).
- Literature by and about Robert Werner in the catalog of the German National Library
- Obituary of the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
- Jakob Seibert : "From seminar to seminar". In: Derselbe (Ed.): 100 Years of Old History at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich (1901–2001) (= Ludovico Maximilianea. Research and sources. Volume 19). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2002, ISBN 3-428-10875-2 , pp. 23–39, here p. 28.
- Cf. Jochen Bleicken : History of the Roman Republic. 2nd edition, Oldenbourg, Munich 1982, p. 109.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 16, 1924|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Schönbach|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 5, 2004|
|Place of death||Gauting|