Hans-Joachim Gehrke, one of the most prominent German ancient historians, was a student at the Ratsgymnasium Goslar from 1961 to 1965 and passed his Abitur there in 1965. He then studied history and classical philology at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen from 1967 to 1973 , where he received his doctorate in 1973 with a study on Phokion (doctoral supervisor was Alfred Heuss ), was a research assistant from 1973 to 1982 and completed his habilitation in 1982 . The subject of the very influential work published in 1985 was the phenomenon of stasis in classical Greece. From 1982 to 1984 Gehrke taught as a professor of ancient history at the Julius Maximilians University of Würzburg , and from 1984 to 1987 as a full professor at the Free University of Berlin . From 1987 to 2008 Gehrke held the chair for ancient history at the University of Freiburg . On July 11, 2007, Hans-Joachim Gehrke was elected President of the German Archaeological Institute; he succeeded Hermann Parzinger in this function on March 1, 2008 . In the same year he received an honorary professorship for the subjects of Ancient History and Classical Philology at the Free University of Berlin. In 2011 he retired; his successor at the DAI has been Friederike Fless since April 1, 2011 .
Gehrke has been Director of External Relations at the University College Freiburg (UCF) since 2011. Hans-Joachim Gehrke is a corresponding member of the Academy of Charitable Sciences in Erfurt , a member of the central management of the DAI and a full member of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences . He has also been a member of the Leopoldina since 2010 . From 1999 to 2005 he was a member of the Senate, the Board of Trustees and the Main Committee of the German Research Foundation . Gehrke is also active at the Gerda Henkel Foundation , originally as a member and chairman of the foundation's scientific advisory board, and since 2005 as a member of the board of trustees. In 2010 Gehrke was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit with ribbon . In 2012 he was awarded an honorary doctorate from the Philosophical Faculty of the University of Cologne. In 2017 he was awarded the Ausonius Prize of the University of Trier .
Gehrke's main research interests are the history of ancient Greece, historical regional studies of the central and eastern Mediterranean region, social conflicts and social integration, intercultural relationships as well as historical ideas and collective identities.
- Phocion. Studies to record its historical form (= Zetemata . Vol. 64). CH Beck, Munich 1976, ISBN 3-406-05154-5 (also: Göttingen, Univ., Diss., 1973).
- Stasis. Investigations into the internal wars in the Greek states of the 5th and 4th centuries BC BC (= Vestigia . Vol. 35). CH Beck, Munich 1985, ISBN 3-406-08065-0 (also: Göttingen, Univ., Habil.-Schr., 1981).
- Beyond Athens and Sparta. The third Greece and its world of states. CH Beck, Munich 1986, ISBN 3-406-31537-2 .
- History of Hellenism (= Oldenbourg floor plan of history . Vol. 1A). Oldenbourg, Munich 1990, ISBN 3-486-53051-8 ; in Greek translation: Ιστορία του ελληνιστικού κόσμου. Μορφωτικό Ίδρυμα Εθνικής Τραπέζης, Αθήνα 2000, ISBN 960-250-202-9 .
- Alexander the Great (= Beck's series. Vol. 2043, CH Beck Wissen ). CH Beck, Munich 1996, ISBN 3-406-41043-X ; in Spanish translation: Alejandro Magno (= Flashback. Vol. 1). Acento, Madrid 2001, ISBN 84-483-0558-2 ; in Czech translation: Alexander Veliký. Svoboda, Prague 2002, ISBN 80-205-1034-6 .
- Little history of antiquity. CH Beck, Munich 1999, ISBN 3-406-45530-1 ; Deutscher Taschenbuch-Verlag, Munich 2003 (= German vol. 34041), ISBN 3-423-34041-X .
- as editor with Helmuth Schneider : History of antiquity. A study book. JB Metzler, Stuttgart / Weimar 2000, ISBN 3-476-01455-X ; 5th edition, 2019, ISBN 978-3-476-04760-1 .
- History as an element of ancient culture. The Greeks and their story (s). De Gruyter, Berlin 2014, ISBN 978-3-11-035050-0 .
- Politics and political thinking (= Selected Writings. Volume 1). Edited by Kai Trampedach and Christian Mann . Franz Steiner Verlag, Stuttgart 2019, ISBN 978-3-515-12356-3 .
- Literature by and about Hans-Joachim Gehrke in the catalog of the German National Library
- Own website
- Profile of Gehrke in the Gepris system of the German Research Foundation
- Gehrke's private homepage. Retrieved October 22, 2018 .
- Member by Hans-Joachim Gehrke (with picture and CV) at the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina , accessed on July 6, 2016.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 28, 1945|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Salzgitter|