Ernst Baltrusch studied Latin and history from 1975 to 1981 in Göttingen with Jochen Bleicken and Carl Joachim Classen and in Bonn with Willy Schetter and Johannes Straub and graduated in 1981 with the first state examination for teaching at a grammar school . In 1986 he did his doctorate in Göttingen under Jochen Bleicken on the subject of regimen morum. The regulation of the private life of senators and knights in the Roman Republic and early Imperial times . After that he was a research assistant from 1987 to 1993at the TU Berlin at Werner Dahlheim's chair , where he studied Symmachie and Spondai in 1992. Research on Greek international law of the archaic and classical period (8th – 5th century BC) qualified as a professor . Since 1995 Ernst Baltrusch has been university professor for ancient history at the Friedrich-Meinecke-Institut of the Free University of Berlin .
Baltrusch's work focuses on the history of Judaism in antiquity, ancient international law , the history of Sparta with special consideration of foreign policy and the transition from the Roman Republic to the Principate . He appeared in documentaries on the German television station Phoenix and in the ZDF documentary series ZDF History , directed and moderated by Guido Knopp , as an expert on topics from the ancient world, such as the Gracchi or the Jewish War .
Ernst Baltrusch is married to the medieval historian Dagmar Beate Baltrusch-Schneider, who received her doctorate in Cambridge in 1985 .
- Regimen morum. The regulation of the private life of senators and knights in the Roman Republic and early Imperial Era (= Vestigia . Volume 41). Beck, Munich 1989, ISBN 3-406-33384-2 .
- Symmachy and Spondai. Studies on Greek international law of the archaic and classical period (8th – 5th centuries BC) (= studies on ancient literature and history. Volume 43). De Gruyter, Berlin / New York 1994, ISBN 3-11-013745-3 .
- Sparta. History - Society - Culture (= Beck's knowledge series ). Beck, Munich 1998; 4th edition 2010, ISBN 978-3-406-41883-9 (translations into Italian: Bologna 2002 and Greek: Athens 2003).
- The Jews and the Roman Empire. Story of a conflicted relationship . Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 2002, ISBN 3-534-15585-8 .
- Caesar and Pompey (= compact story ). Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 2004, ISBN 3-534-16490-3 .
- Herod. King in the Holy Land. A biography . Beck, Munich 2012, ISBN 978-3-406-63738-4 .
- Ernst Baltrusch: History of Ancient History at the Free University. In: Karol Kubicki, Siegward Lönnendonker (ed.): The historical sciences at the Free University of Berlin (= contributions to the history of science of the Free University of Berlin. Vol. 2). V & R unipress, Göttingen 2008, ISBN 978-3-89971-475-3 , pp. 11-40, here: pp. 22 f. and 32.
- Literature by and about Ernst Baltrusch in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page from Ernst Baltrusch at the FU Berlin
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 11, 1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bad food|