Peter Högemann did his Abitur at the age of 25 on the second educational path at the old-language advanced high school in Bad Driburg . He then studied Catholic theology and Ancient Near Eastern Studies at the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität in Münster and graduated with a diploma in Catholic theology. This was followed by a second degree in Assyriology, Classical Philology , Classical Archeology and Ancient History in Münster, Würzburg and Tübingen . In 1982 he received his doctorate in Würzburg in Ancient History with a dissertation on "Alexander the Great and Arabia". In Tübingen in 1991 he completed his habilitation on the subject of "The ancient Near East and the Achaemenids - Reception of Near Eastern forms of rule by the Persians". He then became a private lecturer at the history seminar in Tübingen. In 1993 he became C3 professor at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg . Högemann retired in the winter semester 2005/06, but still gives lectures.
As a representative of ancient history, he supports the project funded by the Staedtler Foundation, among others, “The Greeks and the Middle East from the Mycenaean-Hittite period to Alexander the Great and his successors” ( Indo-European studies : Norbert Oettinger for Hittitology and Robert Plath for Mykenisch , Karlheinz Kessler for Assyriology).
- Alexander the Great and Arabia (dissertation), CH Beck, Munich 1985 ( Zetemata , H. 82) ISBN 3-406-30493-1
- Ancient Near East and the Achaemenids. A contribution to the Herodotus analysis (habilitation), Reichert, Wiesbaden 1992 (supplements to the Tübingen Atlas of the Middle East . Series B, Geisteswissenschaften, No. 98) ISBN 3-88226-563-9
- About the relationship between culture and religion. Five lectures , University Library, Erlangen 2004 (Erlanger Research. Series A, Humanities, Vol. 105) ISBN 3-930357-63-1
- Literature by and about Peter Högemann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page from Högemann at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 20, 1941|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Goettingen|