After graduating from high school, Köpke studied physics at the University of Bonn from 1973 to 1979 . He graduated with distinction in 1979. The title of the work is: Construction of a multi-wire proportional chamber . In 1983 he received his doctorate, also at the University of Bonn, the title of the dissertation : Generation of kaon and proton-antiproton pairs in 2-photon reactions .
Since 1994 he has been working as a professor at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz , concentrating on detector development, data acquisition systems and networked computer systems, as well as taking care of physical analyzes for direct CP violation and rare kaon decays . From 1999 he took part in the AMANDA experiment and from 2004 in the IceCube experiment in the deep ice at the South Pole .
In the course of his career he worked on numerous scientific projects, which were connected with several stays abroad:
- 1980–1983 TASSO experiment (DESY-Hamburg) ; Construction of a lead-glass luminosity detector, analysis of 2-photon events.
- 1983-1986 MARK II experiment (SLAC-Stanford) ; Analysis of hadronic J / psi decays, participation in the MARK-II drift chamber, (University of California, Santa Cruz (USA)) .
- 1987-1992 OPAL experiment (CERN-Geneva) ; Construction of a presampler detector and physical analysis (physics coordinator of the experiment), (CERN, Geneva (Switzerland)) .
- 1992–1994 ZEUS experiment (DESY-Hamburg) ; Analysis of the production of heavy quarks in deep inelastic scattering, person responsible for safety of the experiment.
- 2000 research stay at Amundsen-Scott Station, Antarctica
- 2002 member of the Atlas Publication Committee
- 2004–2007 AMANDA physics coordinator, chairman of the IceCube Publications Committee
- 2006–2011 member of the IceCube Executive Committee, Chairman of the IceCube Supernova working group
- 2008–2009 Dean of the Department of Physics, Mathematics and Computer Science
- Fellow and research assistant at the European research center CERN
- Scholarship from the German National Academic Foundation
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German physicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 22, 1954|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Koblenz|