MEWA textile management
|MEWA textile service
|legal form||AG & Co. Management OHG|
|founding||August 1, 1908|
|Seat||Wiesbaden , Germany|
(Director Marketing & Sales)
(Director Corporate Services )
(Director Production & Logistics)
(Director Customer Service & Distribution)
|Number of employees||5,600 (2018)|
|sales||EUR 704 million (2018)|
MEWA Textil-Service is a group of companies in the textile management service sector with 42 locations in Germany and other European countries. The group has its administrative headquarters in Wiesbaden .
The shareholders are Gabriele Gebauer (MEWA Foundation) and MEWA Textil-Service AG.
MEWA offers work clothing , cleaning cloths , towel rolls, floor mats and mops as a full service. The textiles are brought to the customer, picked up, washed and cared for, maintained and replaced if worn. In addition, Mewa sells articles for occupational safety, technical needs and leisure by catalog.
Foundation and company history
On August 1st, 1908, Hermann Gebauer founded the "Mechanische Weberei Altstadt GmbH" in Ostritz -Altstadt near Görlitz (Saxony). The company produced and washed cotton cleaning cloths . The fact that the cloths were used several times meant that machines could be cleaned more cheaply than before.
By 1938 the company had grown to 15 businesses. This year the first company was opened in Austria. In Berlin, the company also offered towels for the first time.
After the Second World War , Hermann Gebauer rebuilt the company from 1945, initially in Nuremberg . The company has had its headquarters in Wiesbaden since 1965. "MEWA Textil-Service AG & Co. Management OHG" coordinates the cooperation between the production and service companies. The founder's granddaughter, Gabriele Gebauer, is the board member of the AG.
In the mid-1970s, the company changed its business model. Since then, all cloths have been uniformly bearing the MEWA logo instead of different customer lettering. The group of companies grew strongly in the last quarter of the 20th century.
In 1991 MEWA took over Jenatex , a company with 100 employees in Jena, which had existed since 1976 .
Over a period of 25 years, sales rose from the equivalent of around 20 million euros (1973) to 236 million euros (1998).
In terms of turnover, in 2000 the company was fifth in Europe and second in Germany. It has locations in Germany (13), Austria (3), France (8), Belgium (2) and Spain (3), Italy (3), Switzerland (1), Netherlands (1), Czech Republic (2), Slovakia (1), Poland (2) and Hungary (1).
Cleaning cloths are still produced in our own weaving mill in Germany: MEWA Textil-Service AG & Co. OHG Immenhausen (Hessen).
In 2017, the company had around 5,200 employees and more than 184,000 contract customers.
The group of companies has contributed to the development of the new job description “ service driver ”. Together with the magazine Impulse and the Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Engineering (IAO), it awarded the German Service Prize for medium-sized companies from 2002 to 2006 .
In 2006, the competitor Euronet in France and the NEW Wash company in Italy were acquired in order to improve their market position in the respective countries.
In the “Austria's Leading Companies” competition, MEWA Textil-Service GmbH was able to achieve second place among the most successful companies in Lower Austria in the “Goldener Mittelbau” category (sales over 10 to 50 million euros) in 2015 and 2016.
With 44 locations in 21 countries, MEWA is Europe's leading textile management provider.
- Official website
- "Factsheet on the MEWA Group 2017" , press release
- "The largest German textile leasing companies and groups of companies" , George H Hoffman Management Consultants
- "The German Textile Care Market" , George H Hoffman Management Consultants
- Contaminated site W 22 MEWA Hütteldorfer Strasse , Federal Environment Agency Austria
- "People. Values. MEWA." general newspaper
- "Textile service provider MEWA expands management board", https://www.rw-textilservice.de/textildienstleister-mewa-erweitert-vorstand/150/17388/376634
- "MEWA: textile service provider increases sales and number of employees", https://www.print.de/news-de/mewa-textil-dienstleistungs-steigert-umsatz-und-mitarbeiterzahl/
- MEWA. November 14, 2018, accessed May 1, 2019 .
- Florian Langenscheidt , Peter May (ed.): Lexicon of German family businesses . German Standards Editions, Cologne 2014, ISBN 978-3-86936-530-5 .
- Thomas Richter: MEWA again in second place among the most successful medium-sized companies in Lower Austria .