Martin Thomsen was born in Rendsburg in 1902. In 1933 and 1934 he worked with his wife, the internist Grete Thomsen, in a group practice in Gelting . In 1934 the couple went to Indonesia as missionary doctors , where they were initially stationed on the island of Nias near Sumatra and built up a network of medical aid stations. After Martin Thomsen's internment and a stopover at the Diakonissenanstalt hospital in Flensburg (1946–1951) , both resumed their work here in 1951.
In 1970, Martin Thomsen and his wife were awarded the Paracelsus Medal of the German medical profession for decades of humanitarian commitment .
- U. Hummel, T. Telaumbanua: Cross and Adu: A Socio-Historical Study on the Encounter between Christianity and the Indigenous Culture on Nias and the Batu Islands, Indonesia (1865-1965) . Dissertation, Utrecht University, 2007 (Netherlands). Published in: Mission, 2007: Volume 43. Zoetermeer, Verlag Boekencentrum. ISBN 978-90-239-2216-2
- Martin Thomsen: A song of the dead from the island of Nias . KITLV, Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies. Bijdragen tot de Taal-, Land- and Folklore. Deel 137, 4th Edition 1981, pages 443-455
- U. Hummel, T. Telaumbanua: Independent Churches on Nias and the Batu Islands (1930-1965) . Cross and Adu: A Socio-Historical Study on the Encounter between Christianity and the Indigenous Culture on Nias and the Batu Islands, Indonesia (1865-1965)]. Dissertation, Utrecht University, 2007 (Netherlands). Chapter 5, page 193
- Peter Lüsebrink: The medical care in Gelting . Official courier, Geltinger Bucht 2008 (issue 6), page 12
- NN: Obituary - Dr. med. Grete Thomsen . Deutsches Ärzteblatt 1987; 84 (issue 28/29), page A-1989
- NN: Paracelsus Medal for Honored Doctors - Drs. Med. Martin and Grete Thomsen ( Memento of the original from January 28, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. . Bayerisches Ärzteblatt 1970 (issue 6), page 548
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German surgeon and missionary doctor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 2, 1902|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rendsburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 9, 1978|
|Place of death||Lich|