Matthias Recke passed his Abitur at the Max-Planck-Gymnasium in Nürtingen in 1987 and then did his community service . In 1989 he began studying classical archeology, ancient history and prehistory and early history at the University of Gießen , the Free University of Berlin and the University of Marburg . In 1994 he graduated with a Magister Artium . On behalf of the University of Giessen, in 1994 he compiled a catalog of the ancient and classicist sculptures from Rauischholzhausen Castle . 1997/98 Recke was a research assistant at the Athens Department of the German Archaeological Institute . In December 1999, he did his doctorate with a thesis on The Image of War in Giessen. He then became a research assistant for the Perge project at the Professorship for Classical Archeology in Gießen, where he had been a research assistant since 2003 and curator of the Gießen Collection of Antiquities from 2009 to March 2016. In April 2016 he moved to the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main , where he has since worked and taught as curator of the Antikensammlung and the sculpture hall.
Matthias Recke researches, among other things, the reception of antiquities and the history of collections of antiquities. Since 1994 he has been working on the survey and excavation projects in Perge, where he is responsible for processing the found ceramics. In 1998 and 2000 he took part in the Aigina excavation of the DAI Athens. Here, too, he is responsible for processing the found ceramics. Since 2011 he has been field director of the excavations in Hala Sultan Tekke (Cyprus), which are taking place in cooperation with the Vrije Universiteit Brussels under the direction of Karin Nys. His research project on the sculptural decoration of the sanctuary of Tamassos-Frangissa is also based in Cyprus. Together with Hartmut Matthäus, he oversees the publication of the Tamassos excavations as editor.
- The Gießen antique collection , Gießen 1998 (showcase, volume 1) ISBN 3-00-003136-7
- Classical archeology in Giessen. 100 years of antique collection , Ferber, Gießen 2000 (Studia Giessensia, Volume 9 / Edition Gießen) ISBN 3-932917-18-9
- Violence and suffering. The image of the war among the Athenians in the 6th and 5th centuries BC Chr. Ege Yayınları, Istanbul 2002, ISBN 975-807-057-6 (= PhD)
- with Wolfgang Maaß (Ed.): Gießen at second glance - walks through the university town. Brühlscher Verlag, Giessen 2003, ISBN 3-922300-57-X
- with Anja Klöckner (Ed.): Wahre Helden? Daumier and the ancient world . Zimmermann, Nürtingen 2007 (Works on Classical Archeology / Communications from the Gießen Collection of Antiquities, Volume 1) ISBN 978-3-8334-8028-7
- with Anja Klöckner (Ed.): Patrons, donors and scholars - The Giessen collection of antiquities and their sponsors . Zimmermann, Nürtingen 2007 (Work on Classical Archeology / Communications from the Gießen Collection of Antiquities, Volume 2) ISBN 978-3-922625-31-5
- In loco Murtana, ubi olim Perge sita fuit: The beginning of archaeological research in Pamphylia and Gustav Hirschfeld's expedition to Asia Minor 1874 , Antalya 2007.
- with Waltrud Wamser-Krasznai: Cultic Anatomy. Etruscan body part votives from the collection of antiquities at the Justus Liebig University in Gießen (Ludwig Stieda Foundation) , German Museum of Medical History, Ingolstadt 2008 (collection sheets of the German Museum of Medical History Ingolstadt, NF, No. 12)
- with Olaf Schneider: Worth preserving. Preserving archaeological and bibliophile treasures for the future. An exhibition of the Antiquities Collection and the University Library Gießen , Institute for Classical Studies of the University of Gießen / University Library, Gießen 2009 (Works on Classical Archeology - Messages from the Antique Collection of the Justus Liebig University Gießen, Volume 3 / Reports and Works from the University Library and the University Archives Giessen, Volume 59) ISBN 978-3-9808042-8-8
- Literature by and about Matthias Recke in the catalog of the German National Library
- CV and list of publications
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 27, 1968|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Tübingen|