Live and act
Villmow grew up in Norway, attended high school in Boston, USA and studied jazz saxophone at the Cologne University of Music . In 1984 he founded the Cologne Big Band , which he led until 1995 and with which he released the albums N and Update . Since 1986 he has been teaching at the Rheinische Musikschule in Cologne . Between 1993 and 2015 he worked as a composer, arranger and conductor with the JugendJazzOrchester Nordrhein-Westfalen , which published works by him on its CD Triangle (2015). From 2000 he appeared as a guest conductor a. a. with the NDR Bigband , the Federal Youth Jazz Orchestra and Austrian and Norwegian jazz orchestras.
Between 1990 and 2000 Villmow u. a. with Ray Charles , Sammy Davis Junior , Jennifer Rush , Paquito D'Rivera and Chad Wackerman and conducted concerts with Manfred Schoof , Randy Brecker and Markus Stockhausen . He composed stage pieces for the Cologne Opera and radio play music for the WDR . At the turn of the millennium, Chronophonia was created for mixed choir, soloists and jazz orchestra on behalf of the Norwegian Cultural Council . He wrote other choral compositions (including masses) on behalf of the Greifswalder Bachwoche , the European Chamber Choir and the Upper Valais Choir and Cecilia Association.
Villmow also completed advanced training seminars for choral conducting with Volker Hempfling and works as a choir director; so he leads the Cologne adult choir Querbeat . He composed the music for the ballet Pippi Longstocking for the Rheinische Musikschule Köln . He runs the crossover project Kreuzüber Bach with the cellist and organist Gunther Tiedemann . Based on Luther's chorale Verley uns Frieden , he wrote a composition that the Federal Jazz Orchestra performed at various locations in 2017, including the Evangelical Church Congress . A live recording was released on CD on the Double Moon Records label.
- Pippi Longstocking , ballet music
- Chronophonia for mixed choir, soloists and jazz orchestra, 1999
- Der Engelsgruss for four-part mixed choir, organ, saxophone and percussion, premier 2006
- Missa Brevis for four-part mixed choir, violoncello and tenor saxophone, premier 2007
- Missa de Angelis , WP 2008
- Da Pacem for mixed choir, organ, saxophone and percussion, premier 2008
- O Nacht for mixed choir, vibraphone, soprano saxophone (opt. Percussion), WP 2015
- Nordlicht Suite for symphony orchestra, viola, saxophone and percussion, WP 2016
- Verley us peace for big band and vocal ensemble, UA 2017
- Homepage of Michael Villmow
- First performance of the Missa brevis 2007
- Interview (2017)
- Michael Villmow at Discogs (English)
- The JugendJazzOrchester NRW said goodbye to Michael Villmow ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Verley Us Peace (Bujazzo)
|German jazz musician and composer
|DATE OF BIRTH
|PLACE OF BIRTH