|Nomos Glashütte / SA
Roland Schwertner KG
|legal form||Limited partnership|
|Seat||Glashütte (Saxony) , Germany|
|management||Uwe Ahrendt (Managing Director)|
|Number of employees||300 (2016)|
In 1990, the Düsseldorf IT expert and photographer Roland Schwertner registered the “NOMOS Glashütte / SA” brand.
The watch manufacturer is based in Glashütte in Saxony, a traditional watchmaking location. The designation of origin is protected: in order for a watch to be called a “Glashütte watch”, a manufacturer must generate at least 50 percent of the added value of the caliber on site in Glashütte. At Nomos Glashütte it is up to 95 percent.
Nomos Glashütte has three locations in Glashütte. The administration is located in the former reception building of the Glashütte railway station , while the majority of the employed watchmakers work in the chronometry department on the Erbenhang above Glashütte . Another production facility was put into operation in the Schlottwitz district in September 2017. A subsidiary in Berlin is responsible for marketing.
Nomos Glashütte is a member of the German Werkbund .
Uwe Ahrendt, who is responsible for the production in Glashütte as the managing partner, Judith Borowski, who is co-owner responsible for brand and design, and the founder Roland Schwertner, who is still in charge of sales, share the management.
Nomos Glashütte began in 1992 with four basic models: "Tangente", "Orion", "Ludwig" and "Tetra". The following models were added later: “Tangomat” (2005), “Club” (2007), “Zurich” (2009), “Ahoi” (2013), “Lambda” (2013), “Lux” (2013), “ Metro "(2014)," Minimatik "(2015) and" Autobahn "(2018).
Since 2005 Nomos Glashütte has only built in-house watch movements, most of which are made in-house. Since 2015, these have been successively equipped with the in-house range (“Nomos Swing System”) and renamed to “Deutsche Uhrenwerke” (DUW).
The DUW 6101 plant came onto the market in 2018. It is called "neomatik date". “Neomatik” stands for the particularly flat, completely redeveloped automatic movements of the manufactory, including the DUW 3001 from 2015.
Nomos Glashütte holds several patents on the caliber: for the in-house date mechanism, the power reserve display and for the escapement.
The movements by Nomos Glashütte have a Glashütte three-quarter plate, are rhodium-plated and refined with Glashütte stripes and Nomos perlage. Other special features: stop-second, fine adjustment in six positions, Glashütte-style Nomos ratchet , temperature-blued screws, sunburst finish on the ratchet and crown wheel. Additional special features of the DUW 1001 and 2002 movements: gooseneck fine adjustment, hand-engraved balance cock, screwed gold chatons, 84-hour power reserve, double barrel, screw balance.
Nomos watches have received more than 150 renowned design awards, including the European Product Design Award, the iF Design Award , the Good Design Award , the red dot Design Award , the German Design Award , the Goldene Unruh of the watch magazine, the Audience Award for watches of the year of the world on Sunday and the Austrian Chrono Award.
From 1906 to 1910 there was the Nomos watch company, Guido Müller & Co., which imported Swiss watches and then sold them with the more prestigious (and more profitable) addition “Glashütte / Sachsen”. A. Lange & Söhne had this business practice stopped by a court, so that the original Nomos company ceased operations again in 1910. The “Nomos Watch Society” and the “Nomos Glashütte / SA” don't have more in common than the name Nomos .
- Volker Fischer (ed.): Design classics, The Tangente by NOMOS Glashütte. Birkhäuser, Basel / Boston / Berlin 2004, ISBN 3-7643-6840-3 .
- Judith Borowski (Red.): NOMOS Glashütte - The great universal dictionary. Nomos, Glashütte 2006, ISBN 3-00-018473-2 .
- Hans-Heinrich Schmid : "Lexicon of the German watch industry 1850 - 1980: company addresses, production program, company logos, brand names, company histories." (3rd expanded edition 2017); Editor: German Society for Chronometry eV; ISBN 978-3-941539-92-1
- Handelsblatt Magazin, No. 3 (May 2015), p. 54.
- Successful watch manufacturer: NOMOS Glashütte continues to grow , press release in January 2017
- NOMOS Glashütte: Only available in Glashütte. In: www.nomos-glashuette.com. NOMOS Glashütte, December 11, 2018, accessed on December 11, 2018 .
- Moving at Nomos In: www.sächsische.de / Edition 8 September 2017
- Nomos Glashütte: Balance and Escapement , Brand Eins , special edition Saxony, 2016
- NOMOS Glashütte: Manufacture caliber DUW 6101. In: www.nomos-glashuette.com. NOMOS Glashütte, December 11, 2018, accessed on December 11, 2018 .
- DPMA: DPMAregister: hit list. In: www.register.dpma.de. German Patent and Trademark Office, December 11, 2018, accessed on December 11, 2018 .
- Tangente neomatik 41 update. In: European Product Design Award. 2019, Retrieved September 12, 2019 (American English).
- sz-online: Nomos Glashütte wins design award . In: SZ-Online . ( sz-online.de [accessed on February 21, 2017]).
- Awards and Accolades , company website, accessed December 14, 2018
- GPHG | © Fondation du Grand Prix d'Horlogerie de Genève , accessed on November 19, 2018 → Video of the winning watch