Daniele Comboni (born March 15, 1831 in Limone sul Garda , Italy, † October 10, 1881 in Khartoum , Sudan ) was a Catholic bishop , missionary and founder of an order . He was beatified in 1996, the canonization took place in October of 2003.
Liturgical feast day is the day of death, October 10th.
Daniele Comboni grew up in a poor farming family. He was the only one of eight children who survived childhood. He went to Verona and studied there at an institute founded by Nicalo Mazza . He was ordained a priest in 1854 and three years later traveled to Africa with five other missionaries from the Mazza Institute. The Mazza Institute was a mission society, mainly supported by Austrians and Germans, headed by the Slovenian priest Ignacij Knoblehar (Ignaz Knoblecher) and, after his death in 1858, by the Bamberg priest Matthäus Kirchner .
After a five-month journey, the missionaries reached their destination, Khartoum , Sudan . Most of his confreres were killed; this is said to have led him to devote his life to the African people. In 1864 he returned to Italy to develop a new strategy for missionary work. He then tried to get support for his project from all over Europe.
In 1867 he founded the Mission Society of the Good Shepherd in Verona and opened the first branch in Cairo that same year . In 1870 he taught at the 1st Vatican Council Pope Pius IX. of his plans to proselytize Africa. In 1871 he wrote a rule of the order, in 1872 he founded a community of sisters and a magazine for missionary work in Africa, which is still published today under the title Nigrizia . The revival of missionary work in Central Africa goes back to him. In 1873 he went to Khartoum, in 1877 he was appointed bishop there. Four years later, in 1881, Comboni died of cholera .
Today around 3,500 religious and members of the Secular Institute of the Comboni Missionaries (MCCJ) work in 40 countries in Africa and Central America.
- Reinhold Baumann: Daniel Comboni: Life and Work in Pictures and Documents . Mariannhill Verlag, Reimlingen 2003, ISBN 3-935700-15-6 .
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bautz : COMBONI, Daniele, missionary. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 1, Bautz, Hamm 1975. 2nd, unchanged edition Hamm 1990, ISBN 3-88309-013-1 , Sp. 1106-1107.
- Heinz Gstrein : Among human traffickers in Sudan . Verlag St. Gabriel u. a., Mödling u. a. 1978, ISBN 3-85264-119-5 .
- Literature by and about Daniele Comboni in the catalog of the German National Library
- Entry to Daniele Comboni on medals online
- Homepage of the Comboni missionaries
- www.vatican.va to Daniele Comboni
- Comboni pages in “continents” ( memento of the original dated November 29, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. → News → Solidarity Festival in Josefstal , comboni.de
- The history of the German-speaking province , accessed on January 9, 2020.
- Homepage of the Comboni missionaries ( Memento of the original from January 21, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (accessed November 9, 2008).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Catholic priest and founder of the order|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 15, 1831|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Limone on Lake Garda, Italy|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 10, 1881|
|Place of death||Khartoum , Al-Hartoum, Sudan|