Wilhelm Oskar Barnack (born November 1, 1879 in Lynow , Jüterbog-Luckenwalde district ; † January 16, 1936 in Bad Nauheim ) was a German precision mechanic. Barnack is considered to be the inventor of the 35 mm film camera.
Oskar Barnack worked as head of development at Leitz in Wetzlar in the film cameras department. He invented a compact mini camera that could be used to expose small test strips of the cinema film to test the correct exposure for the shot without having to open the large main magazine. In his spare time, Barnack was engaged in nature photography, but was unable to transport the large and heavy plate and large format cameras because of his asthma . In private work in 1913/14, he developed a small photo camera that could also work with 35 mm film material drawn on small rolls with a recording format of 24 mm × 36 mm (so-called 35 mm format) - the first 35 mm camera . The First World War delayed further development, so that the first Leica (for Lei tz Ca mera) was mass-produced from 1924; it came on the market in 1925. Instead of the previous plates, standardized film strips were used in the Leica and its predecessors. The 35mm film, which was widely used at the time, was used. This made more compact housing designs possible. The use of 35mm film is still standard today in analogue reportage photography.
- Heinz Giebelhausen: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 1, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1953, ISBN 3-428-00182-6 , p. 593 ( ). In:
- Harenberg Personal Lexicon 20th Century . Dortmund 1994, p. 63.
- Literature by and about Oskar Barnack in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature on Oskar Barnack in the Hessian Bibliography
- Search for Oskar Barnack in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Page no longer available , search in web archives: History: Oskar Barnack ) (
- Page no longer available , search in web archives: Oskar Barnack on the website of the Oskar Barnack Museum Lynow ) (
- Page no longer available , search in web archives: films by Oskar Barnack ) (
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Barnack, Wilhelm Oskar (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German precision mechanic, developer of the first large-scale 35mm camera|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 1, 1879|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Lynow , Jüterbog-Luckenwalde district , Brandenburg province|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 16, 1936|
|Place of death||Bad Nauheim|