Otmar Weiß (born February 28, 1953 in Gmünd , Lower Austria ) is an Austrian sports sociologist. He was head of the Center for Sport Science and University Sport and is head of sport sociology at the University of Vienna .
Weiß graduated from the higher technical federal teaching and research institute St. Pölten and worked as a work planner, designer, ski instructor and home manager. He studied mathematics and sports at the University of Vienna and completed his studies with a doctorate in journalism and communication studies . From 1982 to 1984 he taught at the Federal High School in Klosterneuburg and at the Krems Commercial Academy. In 1984 he received a scholarship for the Austrian Journalists' College.
From 1984 to 1992 he was a university assistant at the Institute for Sports Science at the University of Vienna. In 1987 and 1988 a research stay in the USA took place (FWF: Erwin-Schrödinger-Auslandsstipendium) in the Department of Sociology at Ohio State University and in the Department of Human Performance at San José State University . 1989 was his habilitation in sports sociology at the University of Vienna. White was an associate university professor from 1992 to 2000, and in 2000 he became a full university professor.
In 1993 he helped organize the congress of the International Sociology of Sport Association on the subject of “Sport in Space and Time” in Vienna. In 1994 he became chairman of the Austrian Society for Sports Sociology. Between 1996 and 2010 he was the head of the university-level “Motopädagogik” course at the Lower Austrian State Academy . From 1999 to 2001 he was involved in the EU project Tempus Phare: Sport in Incorporation of the Czech Republic into the European Union . In 2002 he participated in the organization of the congress of the European Association for Sports Sociology on the subject of European integration and sport in Vienna. In 2002 he started teaching a European Masters course in health and physical activity at the Foro Italico University . Between 2004 and 2008 and 2010 and 2016, Weiß was deputy director of the Center for Sports Science and University Sports at the University of Vienna. Since 2010 he has been the head of the “Psychomotorik” university course at the University of Vienna and from 2016 to September 30, 2018, he headed the Center for Sport Science and University Sport at the University of Vienna.
In his research he deals with sport in connection with identity, society, health, economy and (mass) communication as well as with psychomotor teaching and learning methods.
- 1995–2003: Board Member of the International Sociology of Sport Association (1995–99 Extended Board, 1999–2003 Executive Board)
- 1997–2002: Editorial Board Member of the "International Review for the Sociology of Sport"
- 2001–2008: President of the European Association for Sociology of Sport
- 2003: Award of the Great Decoration of Honor for Services to the Republic of Austria on the occasion of the research projects "Sport and Health: The Effects of Sport on Health ─ a Socio-Economic Analysis" and "More Austrians for Sport: An Activation Study to Promote Engagement in Sports in Austria"
- 2017: Appointment as Honorary Member of the European Association for Sociology of Sport
- Otmar Weiß, Henning Eichberg: Sport: Faster, higher, stronger. Vienna / Münster 2014: LIT Verlag.
- Otmar Weiß, Gilbert Norden: Introduction to the sociology of sport. Münster 2013: Waxmann Verlag (2nd edition).
- Petra Hilscher, Gilbert Norden, Manfred Russo, Otmar Weiß (eds.): Development tendencies in sport. Vienna / Berlin 2011: LIT Verlag (3rd edition).
- Otmar Weiß (ed.): Sport and Society (Volume 4). Social conditions of top sport. Vienna / Münster 2005: LIT Verlag.
- Georg Anders, Joachim Mrazek, Gilbert Norden, Otmar Weiß (eds.): European Integration and Sport. Münster / Hamburg / Berlin / Vienna / London 2004: LIT Verlag.
- Otmar Weiß and Julika Ullmann (eds.): Motopädagogik. Vienna 2003: Facultas.
- Otmar Weiß et al .: Sport and Health. The effects of sport on health - a socio-economic analysis. Vienna 2001.
- Otmar Weiß: Introduction to the sociology of sport. Stuttgart / Vienna 1999: UTB and WUV-Universitätsverlag (2011: translation into Persian).
- "Sport is a fringe phenomenon". In: Wiener Zeitung . August 24, 2012(interview with Otmar Weiß).
- Weiss Otmar. European Master in Health and Physical Activity, accessed on January 11, 2020 (English, Vita).
- Performance& intellectualstatement 2018. (PDF) University of Vienna, p. 165 , accessed on January 11, 2020 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian sports sociologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 28, 1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Gmuend|