After the conquest of the Inca Empire by Francisco Pizarro in 1533, the last Indian resistance fighters moved to the mountain fortress Vilcabamba back. From there they waged a grueling guerrilla war against the Spanish occupiers for almost forty years . It was not until 1572 that Spanish soldiers captured Vilcabamba in a coup and brought the last Inca ruler, Túpac Amaru, as a prisoner to Cusco (where he was executed a little later). At this point the fortress was almost deserted, and the inhabitants had fled east into the inaccessible rainforest together with the rich possessions of the Inca ruling caste.
In 2001 the Italian archaeologist Mario Polia found new references to Paititi in the archives of the Jesuits in Rome : a report by the missionary Andrea Lopez . In the document, which dates from around 1600, Lopez describes a large city that is said to be rich in gold, silver and precious stones, is located in the middle of the tropical jungle by a waterfall and is called Paititi by the locals . Lopez informed the Pope of his discovery. Conspiracy theories claim that the exact location of Paititi has been kept secret by the Vatican since then .
Since 1990 researchers and archaeologists have been trying harder to track down the legend of Paititi. The expeditions lead to the largely undeveloped Madre de Dios area east of Cuzco or the region east of Lake Titicaca in Bolivia .
- 1925 - Percy Fawcett ( Mato Grosso , missing )
- Between 1954 and 1955, the mountain filmmaker and adventurer Hans Ertl looked for Paititi in Bolivia. The result was the expedition or cultural film Advance to Paititi .
- 1972 - Bob Nichols
- 1997 - Lars Hafskjold ( Madre de Dios , Peru )
- May to September 2001 - Koto Mama Expedition Phase III ( Amazon region )
- 1984 to 2002 - a total of 12 expeditions by Gregory Deyermenjian to the Madre de Dios area
- 2002 - Jacek Palkiewicz (Madre-de-Dios)
- June 2004 - Gregory Deyermenjian
- 2005 - Thierry Jamin and Herbert Cartagena's expedition . ( square hill, clearly visible in the expedition documentation)
in order of appearance
- Hans Ertl: Paititi. A scouting party into the past of the Incas as part of the Andes-Amazonas expedition 1954/55 . Nymphenburger Verlagshandlung, Munich 1956.
- Carlos Neuenschwander Landa: Paititi en la bruma de la historia . Cuzzi Impresores, Arequipa 1983.
- Vera Tyuleneva: El Paititi. Historia de la búsqueda de un reino perdido . Fondo Editorial, Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Lima 2018, ISBN 978-612-317-392-0 .
- English page about Gregory Deyermenjian's expedition (2004)
- Articles about Paititi (English)
- Summary of the Terra X broadcast on the last expedition in 2005 ( Memento from December 3, 2016 in the Internet Archive )
- The explorers of Gran Paititi
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider Pre-E3 2018 Preview: Paititi Paradise. Accessed August 10, 2018 (English).