Paul Frankl first took up a degree in architecture, from 1907 he studied art history in Munich . In 1910 he received his doctorate under Heinrich Wölfflin . From 1914 to 1921 he was employed at the University of Munich. In 1921 he was appointed professor in Halle (Saale) . His academic students include Ludwig Grote and Hans Werner Schmidt . In 1933 he was dismissed and banned from publishing due to his Jewish descent. Charles Crodel , who was also dismissed , continued his lessons in Frankl's private apartment. In 1938 Frankl emigrated to the USA , where he worked at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton from 1940 . He is the brother of the Austrian women's rights activist Olly Schwarz .
- The Renaissance architecture in Italy (Aus Natur und Geisteswelt 381), Teubner: Leipzig 1912.
- The development phases of modern architecture. Teubner: Leipzig / Berlin 1914. New edition with an afterword by Jasper Cepl, Gebrüder Mann: Berlin 1999, ISBN 978-3-7861-2270-8 .
- Opinions on the nature and origin of Gothic , in: Walter Timmling (ed.), Art History and Art History (Small Literature Guide 6), Koehler & Volckmar: Leipzig 1923, pp. 9–35.
- Das System der Kunstwissenschaft , Roher: Brünn / Leipzig 1938. New edition with an afterword by Heinrich Dilly , Gebrüder Mann: Berlin 1998, ISBN 978-3-7861-1993-7 .
- The Secret of the Mediaeval Masons , in: The Art Bulletin, 27/1 (1945), pp. 44-60.
- The Gothic. Literary sources and interpretations through 8 centuries / Paul Frankl. [Engl. transl .: Priscilla Silz]. Translated from d. German Ms. 3rd edition. Princeton University Press, Princeton 1965.
- On questions of style , (from the estate) ed. v. Ernst Ullmann, EA Seemann Publisher: Leipzig 1988, IBN 3-363-00362-5.
- Gothic architecture . Revised by Paul Crossley, Yale University Press: New Haven / London 2000, ISBN 0-300-08799 3 .
- Ulrike Wendland: Biographical handbook of German-speaking art historians in exile. Life and work of the scientists persecuted and expelled under National Socialism. Part 1: A – K. Saur: Munich 1999, ISBN 3-598-11339-0 , pp. 152-157.
- Werner Röder, Herbert A. Strauss (Eds.): International Biographical Dictionary of Central European Emigrés 1933–1945. Volume 2.1, Saur: Munich 1983 ISBN 3-598-10089-2 , p. 321f.
- Portrait of Paul Frankl on October 10 (short biography), website of the city of Halle (Saale), October 5, 2005
- Paul Frankl. In: arch INFORM .
- Paul Frankl in the Dictionary of Art Historians
- Entry on Paul Frankl in the Catalogus Professorum Halensis
- Paul Frankl's estate in the German Exile Archive of the German National Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German art historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 2, 1878|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Prague|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 22, 1962|
|Place of death||Princeton|