Peter Gabriel (Melt)
|Peter Gabriel (Melt)|
|Studio album by Peter Gabriel|
May 30, 1980
Manor Mobile, Bath, UK
Peter Gabriel is the name of the third solo album by the English rock musician Peter Gabriel , which was released in 1980. It bears the same name as his two previous albums, which is why it is often referred to as Melt - in reference to the cover designed by Hipgnosis , on which Gabriel's face seems to melt.
The single Games Without Frontiers was released from the album , which made it into the top 10 of the singles charts in the United Kingdom as the first by Peter Gabriel . The song Biko , which addresses the death of the South African civil rights activist Steve Biko at the time of apartheid and received attention for it, was also released as a single.
Melt was the first album that Peter Gabriel recorded in part in his own studio in Bath . Overall, this allowed Gabriel to do more work and experiment with his music.
A German version of this album, as well as the following one, was produced under the title Ein deutsches Album . Gabriel himself sings the texts translated into German.
- Intruder (4:54)
- No Self Control (3:56)
- Start (1:21)
- I Don't Remember (4:42)
- Family Snapshot (4:29)
- And Through The Wire (5:01)
- Games Without Frontiers (4:07)
- Not One Of Us (5:22)
- Lead A Normal Life (4:15)
- Biko (7:33)
- Peter Gabriel: vocals; Piano; Synthesizer (tracks 3, 4, 7 and 8); Background vocals (tracks 1, 2, 5 and 6); Whistle (title 7)
- Kate Bush: backing vocals (tracks 2 and 7)
- Phil Collins: drums (tracks 1 and 2); Snare (track 5); Surdo (track 10)
- Larry Fast : Synthesizer (tracks 1–3, 5–7, 8 and 10); Effects (tracks 2, 4 and 8)
- Robert Fripp : Guitar (tracks 2, 4 and 8)
- John Giblin : Bass
- Dave Gregory : Guitar (tracks 4 and 5)
- Tony Levin : Chapman Stick (Track 4)
- Jerry Marotta : drums (tracks 4–10)
- Dick Morrissey : Saxophone
- Morris Pert : Percussion (Tracks 1, 2 and 9)
- David Rhodes : guitar (tracks 1, 4-10); Background vocals (tracks 1, 4 and 8)
- Paul Weller : Guitar (Track 6)
- Peter Gabriel. In: petergabriel.com. Retrieved July 1, 2020 (UK English).
- German Genesis Fanclub it: Peter Gabriel - III (Melt) - CD review. Retrieved July 1, 2020 .
- Music against Apartheid | Contemporary historical research. Retrieved July 1, 2020 .
- a german album. In: petergabriel.com. Retrieved July 1, 2020 (UK English).
- Peter Gabriel - 3rd In: Discogs. Retrieved July 1, 2020 .